CHAPTER 30

CHAPTER 30 - THE PROMISE

"You better strengthen your security and keep her safe at the Casa."

I couldn't stop thinking about what Theo said to the Don. His icy voice was chilling and echoing in my mind--making me worry about a lot of things.

Like he no longer wanted to do anything to protect me. That he had given up on me, and that it was now up to the Don to keep me safe.

He even told Lukas that I was now under his care.

Was it foolish of me to think, even hope, that after that unfortunate incident, Theo would actually take me back to the Villa with him? That he would take me under his care again?

Yes, that was outrageously foolish of me, and a bit naive too.

Well after what I told him, after that confrontation, I wasn't sure if he still wanted to see me or if he would ever return. I said words that hurt him, and doubted his actions. I saw how those words affected him and I regretted them the moment they left my lips. I never meant to do those things, but I did and it could not be undone.

I was tossing and turning on my bed, thinking about what had happened since I came here to the Casa. I also thought about the recent incident that made me realize how much Theo cared about me and my safety.

"I will do everything to protect you. I don't want you to be a part of this life, but I can't change it. I can only promise to keep you safe."

And how much he wanted to take me home with him.

"The sooner we catch that fckin idiot, the sooner we can go home."

"I will hunt him and make him pay for what he did to you. Then, I will come back and take you home with me."

Home with him, huh? That idea seems far-fetched now.

I sighed deeply as I stared at the ceiling.

I miss home.

Well, more like I miss him.

I couldn't stop thinking about Theo, wondering where he was and what he was doing now. Was he thinking of me too?

Probably not.

The cold and distant way he left without even looking at me hurt more than anything else. Yes, I was used to getting hurt, but this was on a whole new level. It felt like I was the one who had done this to myself, like I had invited this kind of pain. I pushed him away with my own actions. I hurt him instead of the other way around.

What should I do? Should I call him? Is it smart?

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even hear the knock on the door, but I jumped in surprise when someone called my name. I got up slowly, my legs jelly-like, and walked towards the door. I opened it to find Lukas standing there, holding a tray of food with a warm smile on his face.

"You haven't eaten anything since we returned." He said as he stepped inside and placed the tray on the table. "I thought you might be hungry, so I brought this."

I smiled at the gesture, appreciating his thoughtfulness. "Thank you," I said sincerely. I had been so wrapped up in my own thoughts since we returned that I hadn't realized I hadn't eaten anything all day.

"You need to eat, Lia." Lukas said worriedly.

I turned to him, surprised that he read what was on my mind. I don't have the appetite to digest any food now.