CHAPTER 29

CHAPTER 29 - IT HURTS

Theo killed the man.

My heart stopped and I froze in shock at what Theo had done.

I could only hear my own heartbeat drumming in my ears in the silence that followed. Although I didn't see him do it, I could still imagine the horror of what happened in front of me. I felt like this was just all a nightmare, and yet, I was painfully aware of the reality of the situation.

Theo killed the man.

I knew Theo was a notorious mafia boss. He was dangerous. He was ruthless and feared by many. He had no mercy and would do anything to get what he wanted.

I shouldn't be so surprised, I shouldn't feel scared, and yet I was. I heard about his reputation as the Scorpion. This was normal for him. This was his true nature.

A killer.

Theo didn't take his hand off my eyes--which I was thankful for because I wasn't sure how I'd react if I saw his face. All I wanted to do was forget that this had happened. I wished it all had been a dream.

But it wasn't.

This is real. This is the real deal.

I married a killer.

Ruthless. He killed without hesitation or remorse.

Merciless. He showed no mercy or regret.

He was cold, calculating, and cruel.

That's my husband.

"Clean it up." I heard Theo say in a commanding tone that could not be ignored. This brought me back to where I was--reality.

"Yes boss," a man answered. Then, I heard footsteps and other sounds besides my beating heart, which I thought might explode at any moment.

After what felt like an eternity, Theo removed his hand and turned me to face him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, worry lacing his dark voice. He examined my face and body for any injuries or such. He kept asking the same question, but I didn't have any words to answer him.

I was still stunned—shocked.

"Lia." Theo held my face in both his hands and stared at me. His once composed demeanor was replaced by a look of concern and panic. His emerald eyes were wide, and I realized he was worried about me. "What happened?" he asked. "Are you okay?"

"You killed him." I said with a strained voice.

Theo looked taken aback by my statement, and he knew it wasn't a question. He quickly recovered and responded hard and sternly. "Yes, and I won't hesitate to do it again if someone tries to kill you or even dares to touch you." He was angry and determined to protect me no matter the cost.

"You didn't even give me a chance to—"

"To what?" He snapped. Theo looked furious. "Do you honestly think I have the patience to hear that fuckin garbage? The moment he hurts you, he is already a dead man."

I didn't say anything. I just stared at him, wide-eyed.

He must have noticed the apprehension in my eyes because his expression shifted and he let out a deep sigh. "Lia, this is who I am. You have to understand that killing is part of my identity. I can't change it and I don't want to. It's who I am and it's what I have to do." He stared at me, his eyes pleading for me to understand. "This is what you were married to--a life of violence and danger. That's why I will do everything to protect you. I don't want you to be a part of this life, but I can't change it. I can only promise to keep you safe."