CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12 - IS THIS PART OF YOUR DUTY?

After the Don told us about his plan of passing the mission to Lukas, and for punishing Theo in front of the family, it was so challenging to keep a straight face. It was a tough situation, but I had to try my best to control my emotions and remain composed out of respect and loyalty to the Don.

I knew the Don's word was law and we had to obey, but it felt wrong. And seeing how Theo was treated was heartbreaking.

Especially if it wasn't his fault.

I found it really difficult to carry on with the conversation and act as if nothing like that had happened. On top of that, I felt like I was the only one affected by it. I could sense that the rest of the family was not really affected, which made me feel even worse.

Was it because they were afraid to show their emotions? Or maybe they were just used to it - after all, it was not the first time it happened, right? I couldn't help but feel like I was the only one in the room who truly understood the gravity of the situation.

Or was I just overreacting?

Maybe.

I stayed quiet for the rest of the conversation, feeling frustrated and angry.

I kept looking at Theo, who maintained a calm and collected face. I felt a twinge of frustration. He was so composed, while I was struggling to keep my emotions in check.

I didn't know what he was thinking, but I knew something was off.

Why wasn't he affected by it? He was acting as if nothing had happened. Was that his way of making me feel guilty?

Oh well, it worked!

Honestly, there was nothing I wanted to do right now but speak to the Don and tell him what had happened. I wanted him to undo all this and clear up Theo's name so his reputation could remain intact.

And hopefully get his mission back.

As much as I hate him, and wanted him to be shamed for a different reason, he didn't deserve this punishment.

"You have to eat." Theo told me as I continued to play with my food.

I wanted to tell him I didn't have an appetite and my stomach couldn't handle this. But I kept my thoughts to myself and forced myself to take a few bites. I hoped it would make him satisfied and not pester me further with this eating thing.

"Is there something wrong with the food, Amelia?" The Don asked, bringing me back to reality.

I looked up to see his worried expression. I put down my fork and took a deep breath before answering him. "I'm sorry, grandfather. It looks delicious, but I kind of feeling sick." I said honestly, hoping it wouldn't upset him.

I couldn't bring myself to lie, especially now. There's no point in hiding. At least one of us here was not pretending.

"Oh." The Don's face lit up. He smiled, his eyes twinkling.

For a moment, I was confused.

"Are you pregnant?" he blurted out of nowhere.

My cheeks burned from embarrassment when the Don announced this. The dining hall fell silent, you could almost hear a pin drop. All eyes were on me and Theo.

I turned to him and he was expressionless.

Of course he knew I wasn't pregnant.

He never sealed the deal!

He never did it. He never put it inside me!

My hand involuntarily traveled to my neck as I recalled what happened last night. But I immediately pushed aside the image of him on top of me, giving me these marks, and focused on the present.