CHAPTER 15

CHAPTER 15 - I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT

I didn't want to make assumptions, but the way Theo looked at me, I couldn't help but think there was doubt and suspicion behind his words. And now that I understood it fully, I sensed that there was a hint of implication, too.

As if he was questioning my loyalty.

My loyalty.

To be honest, I felt quite offended.

I matched his gaze and stared into his eyes. My face was unwavering. I wanted him to know that I grasped what he was trying to convey, and I'd like him to know that I was not happy about it.

In fact, I find it blatantly hypocritical and pathetic.

How dare he question my fidelity when in fact he himself is guilty of the same thing? It's a double standard that I just can't accept. He needs to take a good look at himself first before judging others.

I think it should be me doubting him and not the other way around.

But, what's the point of arguing about something that doesn't exist to begin with? I knew my place from the moment we got married. I wasn't his priority, not even number two.

I was just a responsibility.

And I accepted that. I was satisfied with only just that. But I couldn't let this kind of accusation slide.

I feel my face heating up as I try to keep my composure. I take a deep breath and keep my eyes fixed on my wonderful husband whose expression remains unchanged as he watches me intently.

Honestly, I felt like slapping him across the face and reminding him who was the real cheater between us!

Okay, to be fair, he didn't say anything about me being unfaithful or having an affair with Lukas. Maybe I overanalyzed things again.

But I wasn't dumb. I notice things.

Like why is it that every time Lukas is involved, Theo behaves this way?

I wanted to say that this was all jealousy and stuff. But, after that conversation with him this afternoon, I have stopped assuming he harbors feelings for me. Instead, I learned to look at things more logically. And right now, all I could think of was that there was something more to it.

That Theo's acting out was not due to jealousy, but because of ego - he was trying to prove something.

Perhaps prove that he was better than Lukas?

Yeah, it's possible.

I'm not sure what their childhood was like, if there was a competition or something similar, but I refuse to put myself in the middle of it and get in the way of them.

I know I was supposed to be Lukas' wife, but for reasons still unknown to me, I ended up with Theo, who already loved someone else.

Despite that, why did he still accept the arranged marriage? Is this to best Lukas?

Since Lukas declined the offer, was Theo more likely to accept it as a challenge? To show him he could do something he couldn't do?

I had this question sitting in my head from the moment Lukas told me about this little secret. I was determined to brush it off, because I didn't see any importance to it. I'm already married. It's done.

But...

"Is that why he is here?"

"Do you think it's too late?"