CHAPTER 50

THEO'S POV

CHAPTER 50 - THE PROPOSAL

"I swear and vow to protect your family, Hector Astoria, with all my strength, with all I have, with all my life. My loyalty and duty to you shall never diminish and never cease. No matter the cost, no matter the odds, I shall remain ever vigilant in keeping your family safe and free from any harm. For as long as I shall live."

I gripped Hector's arm as I recited the Salvatore oath--something I thought I wouldn't use in this lifetime, because a promise like this shouldn't be taken lightly as it binds the person who receives it to a lifetime of loyalty and protection.

The Salvatore Oath is an old, traditional and sacred bond that embodies the family's unwavering commitment to honor their promises and uphold their values. As this oath reflects our principles and integrity, breaking it would not only bring dishonor on oneself, but also to the entire Salvatore clan.

Once it is spoken, there is no turning back.

On top of that, it can only be given to one person at a time. Only death can sever the ties of this vow, releasing the oath taker from their obligations and allowing them to move on with their lives.

Since everyone in the family takes this thing seriously, I have never known any Salvatore to swear the oath more than once in their lifetime. The gravity of the commitment and the lifelong obligations it entails are enough to deter most from taking such a solemn oath again.

While taking it is already a huge undertaking, upholding the oath is considered a sacred duty among all Salvatores.

This is especially true for the Dons of the clan.

And today, I--the next Don of the Salvatore clan, known for my authoritative leadership and someone who doesn't take orders from others lightly, just gave it to an old man.

When I told Hector I finally agreed to his proposal--to marry his granddaughter and carry on with the plan, he was pleased but not satisfied. He wanted something more. He wanted me to swear to him, take the Salvatore oath he knew well off.

He believed that this would prove my commitment and loyalty to his family, ensuring that I would uphold my principles and protect his granddaughter with my life if necessary.

His audacity was truly astounding. Despite my willingness to fulfill his absurd request, he still demanded further concessions, like this old tradition was the definite way to measure my devotion to his family, as if no other proof or demonstration would suffice.

Well, I have to remember that Hector wasn't just an old man. He was indeed the Don's ex-consigliere. He knew all these and what this oath means to the family, especially to me.

Thinking like a cunning strategist.

Subtle but calculated, he knew exactly how to get what he wanted, on his own terms and conditions.

He showed his true self and skills. He must be extremely desperate and cautious about his granddaughter's safety and future, huh?

Well, I knew what he was doing all along, and I still let him continue.

I let him because I knew I have to do it.

I have to promise.

I have to keep my words.

I was willing to do anything to be Amelia's protector.

And giving this oath to her grandfather was one of those anything.