CHAPTER 38

CHAPTER 38 - LOVE IS BLIND

Selena held my shoulders, looking into my eyes with determination, and said, "He is a cheater. Manipulator. When will you wake up and leave him already?"

I was stunned by the way she held me in place--her grip was strong and her voice was firm. I had never seen her this insistent before despite the numerous times she kept on telling me to leave and divorce Theo.

Even the intensity of her tone was different now than before. It's as if she was trying to shake some sense into me, and make me realize that this has to stop already. Like she wanted me to leave this complicated marriage I was in as soon as possible which was strange.

Honestly, I didn't have a response ready for her. I was still trying to wrap my head around the idea of leaving--which was always on my mind before. But after that night with Theo, the idea was long forgotten in my head. I had accepted my fate, taken the risk, and committed to seeing this marriage through, no matter how complicated it was.

Because it's different this time. I really wanted to stay with him. It's the decision I had made and I would stand by it no matter what.

Selena might have noticed my lack of response as she let go of her hold on me and stepped back. I could tell she was trying to understand why I was so adamant about this.

"I'm sorry, S. There's no way I can explain this without making you feel sorry for me. I just want you to understand that this is something I want to do." I told her honestly.

She avoided eye-contact with me for a second, then looked back at me and said, "Don't get me wrong, Lia. I'm just looking out for you, you know that. I want the best for you. You already made a mistake by not listening to my advice before. You still got married despite my warnings. And look what it has cost you--your dream and career! What's next, huh?"

This time, it was me who looked away, staring at the ground. "Selena. I know you're just looking out for me just like you always do. And you've been extra protective of me since my grandfather died. I get it. And I'm so thankful for that. But,"

"But you love him." She finished my sentence like it was a natural continuation of my thought.

Well, she always does that anyway. Every time we were on the topic of divorcing or leaving Theo, it always came down to this reason--I couldn't do it because I love him. She even said countless times that I was too emotionally attached to even think about walking away. And I knew it was true.

Pathetic and true.

Also, despite all the evidence telling me not to trust Theo, my gut kept telling me to. It was something I could not explain. Like a moth to a flame, I was strangely drawn to him.

"It's not just that. I know you're against this marriage to begin with and you haven't liked Theo since. You blame him for everything that is not right in my life, and you think it's his fault I'm unhappy. I get it." I sat down on the bed and looked at her. "But I still want to try and make this work and be happy with him. I really want our marriage to work, Sel. Especially now that Theo is showing more interest in our relationship and trying to make it better. I, too, want to give it a chance."

"He is what?" Selena asked in pure disbelief. Like what I said was foreign to her.

My face lit up, ready to tell her about what happened and when it all started. "Yeah, we finally reached an understanding. Believe it or not, Theo even gave me a choice. He said I could leave him or stay with him. He offered to free me from this marriage--just like you guessed. And--"