CHAPTER 46

THEO'S POV

CHAPTER 46 - THE MASTER MANIPULATOR

"Let me get this straight. You want me to marry your granddaughter?" I laughed at probably the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my life. I couldn't even fathom such a ridiculous request and the audacity of this old man thinking I would even consider it!

I couldn't help but continue laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all.

"Are you hearing yourself? Even my own grandfather, the Don, couldn't make me marry no matter how hard he tried. So, what made you think you could succeed where he failed? What makes you think anyone else stands a chance?" This time, all my humor drained and was replaced by seriousness. I made sure my tone conveyed the weight of my words, emphasizing the fact that no one has the power to dictate my life choices, not even the Don.

I have always been fiercely averse to the idea of marriage or even relationships. The thought of having a wife in my world brings with it a whole series of complications and vulnerabilities that I simply cannot afford to entertain.

It is not only impractical, but also dangerous. It would make me vulnerable and compromise my secrecy and security, putting both myself and my potential wife always at risk. Plus, it would add another liability for me to constantly worry about and manage, making it even more challenging to lead as a mafia boss.

Surely, this will weaken me. It would create a fuckin' dependency that could be exploited by others or even her, ultimately compromising the effectiveness of my operations, and even my decisions.

So no. I refuse to have someone in my life that exposes me to potential threats and make it difficult to maintain my position of power and authority.

I worked my way up. At such a young age, I proved worthy to be the next Don of the powerful Salvatore clan, not just because I was next in line for it, but because I am capable and deserving of leading. I have spent years studying and strategizing, honing my skills and earning the respect of those around me.

And now, with my position secured, I will not allow anyone to jeopardize the reputation I have built and all I have worked for this family.

"I heard a great deal about you, Hector. After you saved my grandfather's life, you became his consigliere for a short time. I must say, you were quite impressive back then. You have a sharp mind that fits the mafia world like a glove. Your strategic thinking, ability to navigate complex situations and make calculated decisions made you an invaluable asset to my grandfather. This ensured the success of our family's operations during your time as the Don's advisor. But you decided to leave our world for a normal life. What a waste of talent."

It's true.

Hector was an asset, but because of a woman, he willingly left all of it behind. He sacrificed his career just to be with her and keep her safe. He gave up everything for the woman he loved.

I didn't want that.

I would never trade my position for someone else's happiness, especially if it meant sacrificing everything I had worked so hard for.

"You had full potential, but you traded it for marriage. Believe it or not, Andreas here," I gestured at Andreas--my own consigliere, who was standing beside me and continued, "He looked up to you, and he admired your accomplishments and works. He even aspired to be like you--even greater. That is, if he wouldn't let anyone or anything hold him back from reaching his goals, just like you did."

Hector looked down, but there was no shame in his eyes. In fact, I saw a subtle smile forming on the corner of his lips. Because of what?

Pride?