Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11 - WHY HIM?

The ride to Casa Salvatore was awkward and silent.

No one wanted to break the silence and start a conversation.

The tension between us was palpable, and I could feel my heart racing.

My mind kept wandering back to the event that happened awhile ago.

I felt like a fool for thinking Theo was overprotective because he began liking me. When in reality, he was only concerned about his reputation.

Why did I let this happen?

It was okay for me to think that he didn't care about me, that's what you get in most arranged marriages anyway. But I hoped for more. I thought there was a chance for us to build something meaningful together. I thought his feelings for me had changed. I guess I was wrong.

From now on, I have to stop deluding myself into thinking that Theo's actions were motivated by something else. He was just trying to protect his image, and I have to accept that.

We arrived at the casa. Theo opened the door for me and offered his hand.

I took it and got out of the car. Theo wrapped my hand around his arm and held my hand tightly as we walked through the door.

This gesture would normally make my heart race, but now, all of that had been blocked from my mind. I refused to give any meaning to this anymore.

We walked inside, and as always, the Casa was decorated exquisitely. The walls were adorned with beautiful paintings, and the furniture was arranged with a touch of elegance. Every detail were carefully chosen, creating an atmosphere of sophistication and luxury.

Theo led me to the dining hall immediately. Everyone was there already, well not the whole Salvatore clan. They were quite big to even fit into this huge house.

The ones invited for the dinner were the immediate family only. The Don and his children were there, along with their partners. Except for Theo's parents, who both died when he was young.

Lukas was here, too. And surprisingly, he was seated on the left side of the Don, posing an important position in the family. I looked around the table and there were no new other faces aside for him.

Does that mean his parents weren't here, too?

I pushed aside that thought and tried to focus on the present.

Theo pulled the chair out of the table for me, and I sat down. Then he sat next to the Don and beside me.

Since Theo will be the next boss, it makes sense that he would be seated on the right of the Don.

The Salvatores use birthright and succession line to choose the next mafia boss. After his father's death, Theo became the heir apparent to take over the family business. Everyone in the mafia knew the line of succession and respected Theo's place in it. It was his birthright to be the next boss. He was acting as one already, but would become official once the Don passed.

Theo has what it takes to lead and continue the Salvatore legacy. He is a wise and powerful leader and was groomed for the role at a young age.

"I'm happy to be alive and surrounded by my family." The Don started. "A heart attack was a terrifying experience, but I was fortunate to receive the assistance I needed. During that time, I realize that life is precious, and I am grateful for my loved ones' support and prayers. Especially to our dear Amelia, who always stayed by my side and looked after me." He gestured, and I was overcome with emotion.

I smiled at the Don in appreciation of his words. I knew in that moment that I was truly blessed to have such a wonderful family.

The Don and his family were a reminder that not everything in my arranged marriage was terrible.