CHAPTER 21

CHAPTER 21 - DO YOU WORRY ABOUT ME?

"How are you feeling?"

The moment I opened my eyes, I was greeted by this statement and my husband leaning by the window--crossing his arms in front of me.

Theo.

I sat up and met his gaze. He didn't look happy and he wasn't angry either. His usual blank expression was on his face, giving nothing away as to what he was thinking. As always.

"Better," I answered.

He looked at me for a few moments before speaking again. "Good to hear." His tone was flat and didn't hint at any emotion. He seemed to accept my answer without any enthusiasm or disappointment.

Really with him, I just don't know what to expect!

There was an awkward silence as he continued to stare at me. I tucked my hair behind my ear and shifted in my bed, uncomfortable with the silence that hung in the air.

"And you? How are you feeling?" I forced a smile, trying to break the tension.

There was a moment of pause again. This time, Theo didn't hide the dismay in his face and the way he stared at me now felt like I had done something terrible or unforgivable. He then turned around and looked out the window before answering my question. "Like a piece of crap."

I felt my stomach sink and my heart stop at the tone of his voice and words.

"So, you agreed," he said in a straightforward manner. He didn't need to elaborate on this, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Last night, the Don and Lukas came to convince me to stay at the Casa. Though I was initially hesitant at first, in the end, I agreed. I knew that it was for the better anyway.

After that decision, they discharged me from the hospital and we headed straight here. I actually didn't expect to see Theo the next day so early in the morning. Because Lukas said Theo would be busy hunting for the culprit. So, his presence was quite a surprise and something I hadn't prepared for.

"Yes, they said it was for the better," I answered. My eyes shifted downward. I fidgeted nervously while waiting for him to say something.

"And you didn't feel it was important to discuss this with me first because?" Theo's tone was sharp and cold. It felt like he was interrogating me and I had to defend my decisions, even though what I had done was in everyone's best interests, especially his.

"Did you know I almost killed someone when I didn't see my wife in the hospital this morning?"

My eyes widened and my head whipped around as I stared at his direction in shock. Not because of the harshness of his words and danger of his threats. No, I was used to hearing him talk like this. But because he was unaware of my hospital discharge and my stay at the Casa. Did they keep him in the dark about the fact that I had already left the hospital and stayed here?

"I was told that you already knew this." I told him defensively.

"Obviously, I didn't have a clue otherwise I wouldn't have been so surprised and rushed here, right?" Theo said in a frustrated tone. "I only found out from the nurse, and she said the Don and your husband had already taken you home." This time, Theo turned around to meet my gaze, his face etched in annoyance and disbelief. "Do you have any idea how difficult it was to convince them I am your husband? They refused to tell me anything until I showed them some proof. I had to drag the nurse who looked after you at the emergency room to tell them I am your real husband. Unbelievable."