CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18 - WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

"What girlfriend?"

Theo's words kept replaying in my head, struggling to figure out what he meant by them. I was confused and overwhelmed by his response, and I tried to make sense of it all. Call me crazy but I really didn't understand what he was trying to say!

There were millions of questions swarming my head. I was too preoccupied with my thoughts to even pay attention to my procedure.

What made him say that? Could that possibly mean something? Then what is Penelope to him if she isn't his girlfriend? Love of his life? Mistress? The real wife? Is it possible that they were already secretly married and ours was only a ruse? Front or act for the Don?

I tried to recall how he said it. He told me those words cheekily. And I wouldn't trust a mischievous Theo, especially Theodore Salvatore—the mafia boss. Mafia's tend to lie and deceive in order to gain power and protect their interests, so it's possible that Theo was misrepresenting the truth in order to manipulate me.

But I couldn't help but feel hopeful and at the same time... happy? Because if I just look on the brighter side of this, on a more positive note, this could mean that Theo and Penelope are over. Or, it was all just a misunderstanding, right?

But I confronted him so many times about her. I even asked him and he didn't deny it, or try to make things clear with me. On top of that, I can't deny that he treats Penelope differently than me. He's always been so pleasant with her whereas he's always been cold and distant with me.

He goes all-out for her, maybe taking her out on dates, and flaunting her in public. It's like he's a completely different person when he's with her. Unlike me. Like he was ashamed to be around me or something. I was always with guards instead of him protecting me. We never went out together in public, or even celebrate special occasions.

But with Penelope, I saw them together having dinner with Andreas. At the lounge, I saw her hands clinging to his arm like her life depends on it. Do they always do that whenever I'm not around?

There were so many reasons for me to think something was going on between them. So, I just couldn't take his words at face value when he hinted he didn't have a girlfriend.

Plus, the Don knew about them. He even asked me if I wanted Penelope gone. This evening, he even asked Theo if he had already left her, but he refused to answer the question. If things had changed, or if this was all a misunderstanding, the Don should know all of it, right? Otherwise, he wouldn't be too stressed out about this, too.

"You should have stayed a little longer to hear the rest of the conversation."

Those words. What does he mean by that? It wasn't even clear if it had anything to do with Penelope or Lukas, so I wouldn't hold on to it much.

Oh, Amelia! Here you go again, giving yourself false hopes. Don't be too fixated on it! Look what happened at the villa?

Yes, I was heavily invested in the idea that his overprotectiveness towards me was due to jealousy. Only to find out he was just protecting his image.

So, there could also be a reason for him to say those words, and I shouldn't be too optimistic about it. Because positivity sucks!

The nurse wheeled me back to the private room where I was before. I expected Theo to be there, but the she said he is with the radiologist to discuss the result of my imaging.

Few minutes after the nurse left, another doctor came in. I would assume he was a doctor because he was wearing a white coat.

"Amelia Salvatore?" He questioned while reading something on his chart.