21

The next day came and Danny was absolutely exhausted. Right as she was getting ready to settle down for bed the previous night, she ended up getting the bright idea to crochet yet another birthday present. She didn't know why, but she had been in that type of groove for a while. Then, by the time she went for a bathroom break, the sun was already rising. And having never been the type to fall asleep in school, she went through the day with no sleep and some onigiri for lunch. It was that day that her respect for Mikey grew ten-fold, seeing as he could fall asleep whenever and wherever.

"Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" Chifuyu asked with a chuckle as they clumb the stairs. Seeing as she had zero energy, she decided to text someone for a ride, and that someone ended up being Chifuyu.

"Not today, no," she sluggishly replied with a tired glare.

"Eh? You stayed up all night?" he asked before getting a devious smirk. "You got a girl or somethin'? Ow!"

She elbowed him in the side. "No, idiot," she grumbled before making her way to the front of her own division, standing next to Peh. She let out a yawn as she checked the time on her phone. 8 P.M. Time couldn't go any slower.

"Tired?" Peh asked, seeing that Danny could hardly keep her eyes open.

"No, not at all," she drawled out as she looked at him with a cocked brow. "I'm perfectly peachy and energetic." She was cursing herself, the world, and her ADHD now. Why couldn't she have just waited to start that project?

Peh cracked a smile. "Hard time sleeping, or..."

"Got the bright idea to crochet a stuffed animal. Didn't finish it yet, but I got the body done."

"Hm. Gotta picture?"

"Um," she furrowed her brows in thought as she took out her phone, "I think I have one of the cat I gave Baji..." She scrolled through the pictures until she spotted the one of the angry calico.

"Nice. Who's the new one for?"

"Chifuyu. His birthday's coming up. I just had to have the bright idea of making it early." She let out a sigh.

The meeting started soon after and she could hardly keep up with any of it. She was about to fall asleep, but she'd be damned if she would let herself do that. Instead, she stayed standing and forced herself to stay awake at the expense of losing almost all of her concentration on whatever Mikey was talking about. By the time she could tune into what he was saying, Takemichi had become the First Division's Captain because Baji wanted to step down. She'd just ask her brother what went on tomorrow.

~

A few days since the meeting had passed and Takemichi sent him and Danny to the future again. Once again, Danny found herself at her desk that had papers and notebooks haphazardly strewn about. Though, not a single one had the familiar manga drawings. Those were replaced with various documents. She found her phone in her pocket and saw that it was 4:14 in the afternoon, November 18th, 2017. She then went to Google and saw that Sayu's death still happened. She quietly cursed to herself before receiving a text. She furrowed her brows at the name. "Phido," she quietly read aloud. She opened the messages and was surprised to see it all written in the language she created. There had been countless messages, but she raised her brow at the most recent. "Meet at VAL," is what it translated to. Taking hints from previous messages, she just left it on read and continued to read through the previous messages. After just a couple of minutes, she concluded that it was Kazutora that had been messaging her. It seemed like they were both traitors to Toman, which had still gone dark somehow. 

She let out a sigh as she turned off the device completely. VAL... must be Valhalla's old hideout. Hopefully, she thought to herself as she stood. Stopping halfway up, she noticed an oddly normal-looking notebook peeking out partially from under a pile of other not-so-normal ones. She grabbed the plain green notebook, opening it to see the familiar jumbled-up lexicon. Her eyes widened slightly as she skimmed through it. Kisaki, despite being kicked out, ended up rejoining at some point. Remembering her meetup with Kazutora, she read the book as she walked to the destination. From what she could tell, the notebook held information about various gang-related things. Anywhere from information on countless illegal activities, including murder, to information on the upper echelon. And, as it turned out, Chifuyu and Baji were also involved in trying to shut down Toman for good.