41

With a low groan, Danny rolled over. A loud thud followed by a louder groan sounded a second later. "The hell... ?"

"You sleep harder than the dead, did you know that?" Emma asked with a light chuckle as Danny sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eye.

She let out a hum as she stretched her arms over her head. "Yeah, that tends to happen when I don't sleep well for a few days. Did Take already leave?"

"Yeah. About three hours ago, I think? We all tried waking you up, but..."

She chuckled a bit as she pushed herself up. "Well, thanks for letting me sleep. I definitely needed it."

"It was no problem. Before you go, think you could do my hair real quick?"

"Sure."

~

Once she was finished with Emma's hair, she finally began heading home. And, wanting to wake herself up a bit more, she took out her MP3 player and listened to some American Rock music. Despite her liking mostly J-Pop, vocaloid mostly, math rock, and instrumental music, there had always been certain bands that were an exception.

Frail, the skin is dry and frail, the pain will never fail. And so we go back to the remedy, she mouthed the words to the song as she bobbed her head lightly to the beat. ... Just leave them where they lie, and tell yourself, "You'll be the death of me."  She felt someone roughly take ahold of her shoulder, but before she could even attempt to defend herself, everything went black at the sound of metal on flesh. 

~

Fuck... She slowly opened her eyes only to see darkness. After blinking them a few times, she was able to see that she was in a dark room. It wasn't a big space, from what she could see at least. It might've been a closet or just a small storage room somewhere. The ground was concrete, she could tell from how cold her butt and legs were getting. Then, she registered the feeling of her hands being tied behind her back, something tying her to a pole or pipe, maybe, and a gag tied around her mouth. I know I wanted to sleep, but damn. This ain't comfy at all.

After looking around the room, and adjusting to the darkness, she could tell that there was no one there. Being as quiet as she could, she maneuvered her legs to where the heel of her right boot was between her left thigh and calf. With a bit of effort, she got her foot out and, to her dismay, the clinking sound of metal falling onto the concrete floor sounded. She held her breath, straining her ears to pick up on even the faintest sound, but, once she heard nothing after a few moments, she got back to work. Using the heel of the boot that was still on her other foot, she pulled her, thankfully, short sock off, exposing her toes to the chilly air of the room. Quicker than before, she repeated the process with her left foot. Once her feet were both bare, she grabbed the switchblade that had fallen from her boot earlier with her right foot. Careful not to slice her own foot open, she flipped the blade out with her other foot. Thank God for my monkey feet. With extra caution to make sure she didn't lose her grip on the knife, she bent her legs at odd angles until she had the knife at the rope that bound her hands. Slowly, and with a little bit of help from her fingers, she began to saw at the rope.

After what felt like a couple of minutes, the rope finally snapped, releasing her hands. With a silent cheer, she grabbed the knife from her foot and cut the rope holding her to, what she could now tell was a pipe before cutting the gag off. Quietly, she stood and grabbed her socks before putting them back on. Her toes were cold, don't judge. Once she had the second one on though, she could hear a pair of light footsteps echoing from the door off to her left. Shit, she cursed as she looked around. After a split second, she found a decent, albeit not a great spot. Grabbing her boots, she silently clumb the stack of boxes and stayed perched on top as the door swung open.