58

The light chiming of a bell sounded as the door to the small convenience store was pushed open. After Danny walked through the doorway, the metal and glass door swung shut behind her. Looking up at the sky, she stopped, and then let out a small sigh.

"Crap... I forgot it was supposed to rain..." she mumbled to herself. "And they're out of umbrellas too." She sighed. And I'm not supposed to get my cast wet either... Fuck.

Right after she thought that, one drop of rain fell, then two, followed by countless others. It wasn't downpouring, which was a relief, but it wasn't raining light enough for her to get by by covering her cast up with her jacket - one that wasn't waterproof in the least.

Just as she was about to give up and call one of her friends, the bell sounded again. Out of both habit and instinct, Danny looked back to see who it was. Immediately, her brows twitched slightly as she recognized the man. 

He had short neatly combed dark brown hair that gave him the look of a businessman and sharp, yet tired-looking eyes that were the same shade of her best friend's. The middle-aged man was none other than Kotou Nakajima - Sayu's father.

He recognized Danaju just as quickly as she recognized him. "Oh, you're my daughter's friend, aren't you?" he asked, making it sound more like an observation than a question.

"Yes, I am. It's good to see you again, Mr. Nakajima," Danny greeted with a small bow of her head.

He let out an uninterested hum before taking a collapsable umbrella from his black messenger bag. "Here. I accidentally packed two, so you can use this one," he said as he handed it out to her.

Danny blinked in surprise before gingerly taking it with a small nod. "Thank-"

"In exchange," he continued, cutting off her words of thanks, "I'd like to speak to you for a moment."

Reluctantly, Danny agreed. Upon his request, she followed him to a cafe just a short way down the street they were already on. Both of them didn't speak a word to the other as they ordered or even when their drinks came out.

"I'll get straight to the point," Kotou started after taking a couple of drinks of his coffee. His eyes shifted from his cup and locked with Danny's. "I want you to stay away from Sayumi."

I thought that was what he was gonna say... Danny cocked a brow in response. "With all due respect, Sir, if this is about me being involved with other delinquents, you don't have to worry about her safety."

"Really, now?" he scoffed.

"Yes, really. I've already put myself in harm's way to keep her safe, and I won't ever hesitate to do so. So," she stood, placing money on the table before grabbing her cup of coffee, "if that's all, I need to get home before the rain gets much worse." She gave him a smile. "I hope you have a good rest of your day." 

With those words being said, she left. Even after knowing her family for years, she still didn't like the man, nor did she want to give him the time of day. She had already tried that and it didn't work, so she didn't see the use.

"Huh, it stopped raining..."

┉┈◈◉◈┈┉

"So then, we-"

"YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED?!" 

A sudden shout cut Baji short. Both he and Danny raised a brow at each other before quickening their pace a bit. And Danny, having recognized the voice as Naoto's younger self, was almost dragging Baji by the hand.

"I mean, you proposing out of nowhere surprised me too," Chifuyu said.

"What?!"

Everyone, that being Chifuyu, Naoto, Hinata, and Takemichi, quickly turned their heads to look at Danny, who had a face of shock. And next to her, Baji just had a look of confusion.