53

The low rumbling of engines echoed throughout the shipyard. Once filled with more than four hundred teenagers, only nine people remained. Three of which were on the cold hard ground. Falling flakes of snow melted as they landed on each of them.

"Even now... I can't shed a single tear..." Rin sat on her knees by Izana's head, her black eyes gleaming with sadness, but not a single tear had formed. Her eyes burned, but nothing fell for the two people she cared most for in this world.

2001

The sky was as blue as can be, not even a sliver of a cloud could be seen. The sparsely vegetated ground was stained with dark brown patches from a fight that occurred days prior. Bandaged teens were scattered about the reform school's yard. Some played football while others just talked to one another. Then there were those that were off by themselves. Along one wall of the building, far away from all of the others, sat one such person. Her hair was cut just above her shoulders and her black eyes were dull. She stared off past everyone else, but wasn't looking at anything. She didn't want to be there. All she wanted to do was stay inside and sleep, to never wake up again.

"Hm. You're the first girl I've seen here."

Rin didn't react, in fact, she didn't even move. Whoever it was, she didn't want to talk to them. But when the person sat to her left, she glanced over. After months of not feeling anything, she felt her heart skip a beat. 

Her dark eyes wavered as she looked at him. Her heart clenched as the image of a little girl came to mind. It was his platinum blonde, almost white hair that reminded her. Quickly though, her heart dropped again. Eyes that were supposed to be filled with innocent joy were almost empty. A smile that was supposed to shine as bright as the sun was nothing but a mask. 

"Why's someone like you here?"

A voice meant to be purer than a diamond, laced with morbid curiosity.

He isn't her...

Present

A hand landing on Rin's shoulder brought her out of her thoughts, but she kept her eyes on Izana's face. If the pool of blood surrounding him wasn't there, he would have looked like he was just sleeping. "I'm not allowed to have anyone to care about... am I?" she quietly voiced. "Everyone I love is always taken away from me..."

Izana had been the one to help her get back up. He gave her a purpose. After everything had been stolen from her, he gave her a reason to live. He may not have known it, but he saved her life that day they met. She never told him how she felt because she didn't want to lose him. What did that matter now? There would never be any chance that she could tell him now. Now, she was alone again. There was no one left, not even her only friend.

┉┈◈◉◈┈┉

After what had barely been fifteen minutes after they had gotten to the hospital, Baji could hear multiple sets of footsteps quickly approaching before they even rounded the corner. Once Sayu spotted him, she quickened her pace. "Any word yet?" she asked worriedly.

"Not yet, no," Baji replied with a shake of his head, his fists clenching as he forced his leg to stop bouncing. He'd be the world's biggest liar if he said he wasn't scared right now. Every single time Danny had gotten hurt before, she always brushed it off, saying she was fine or she'd be fine as long as she got patched up. This time though, it was different. She didn't even try to joke about the situation. Hell, she even passed out on him. What was he supposed to think? With a sigh, his hand went into his slightly tangled locks as he subconsciously started bouncing his leg again. It hadn't been that long, but the waiting was starting to get to him.