28

"You forgot to carry the negative there, Kazu," Danny stated and she pointed out the mistake. "Besides that... you're good." 

Seeing as the boys would be having high school entrance exams in just a few short months, Danny had decided that she should give Kazbutora and Baji some mock tests just to see how well their study sessions were sticking. And so far...

A sweatdrop ran down her cheek as she marked the last question on Baji's paper wrong. Silently, she slid the paper over to him. "... Am I really that bad of a teacher...?" she muttered as she massaged her temples. 

Meanwhile, Kazutora busted out laughing at the sight of his best friend's paper being almost completely covered in red. "How are you this bad?" he asked between laughs.

"Shut up! Math is hard!" Baji exclaimed as a vein popped on his forehead.

"Well," Danny sighed as she lowered her hand, "all of your other grades are passable. Let's just hope that there's some sort of miracle. Maybe one of the gods will pity you enough and bless you with enough luck to get you through."

"Are you serious?" he asked with an offended look.

"Yeah, Danny, are you serious? He'll need the help of at least five gods," Kazutora said with a grin once his laughter died down.

"Kazutora! You're supposed to be on my side!" Both of the teens just chuckled at the angry boy.

"Y'know," Danny started once her laughing had finally begun to dwindle down, "I don't know how you're gonna survive high school."

"Hah? You're still helping me." He crossed his arms with a grin. "I ain't takin' no for an answer."

"Wooow, what a way to talk to a captain~" she teased.

"Yeah, Baji, how dare you talk to a captain that way," Kazutora added as he elbowed the boy.

Before anything else could be said, the door opened, revealing Baji's mom with a tray of snacks. "How's the studying goin' kids?" she asked with a smile as she walked over to the small table they were all sitting at.

"Thank you," Danny said with a sweet smile as she set the tray down on the table. "We just need to work a bit more with math."

She nodded. "Well, thank you for tutoring my son, sweetheart," she said as she patted Danny's head lightly. "God knows he needs all the help he can get."

"Hey!" Baji rebuked, earning a hard look from her that shut him up.

"I'll leave you kids to it," she said as she left the three.

With an inaudible grumble, he lightly glared at the door before looking at Danny, who had taken a snack from the tray. "Y'know, she thinks you're nothing but an angel."

"As she should," she chuckled as she took another treat.

Baji's eye twitched slightly. "You're nothing but a devil in disguise," he commented before angrily snacking on a cookie.

"Oh, nooo, my cover's been blown. Whatever shall I do?" she dramatically asked as she held a hand on her forehead before flashing him a toothy grin. "You wouldn't know what to do without me."

~

Days passed and finals were over, signaling the start of winter break. Even though she knew she did just fine on her own tests, she was worried about the ones Baji would have to take before long. She wasn't even worried about Kazutora, seeing as things seemed to stick pretty well with him. Baji was the complete opposite. She had even tried explaining her thought processes, but it just served to confuse him further. Her worries were about if he would be accepted into any high school. His grades were - barely - passing and she knew how picky schools could be at times.