32

"The year's first meeting of all members of the Tokyo Manji Gang will now begin!" Draken announced. "Toman has been in conflict with Black Dragon for a long time, but we had agreed to a truce. However, it was broken due to strife between brothers, Second Division Vice-Captain Hakkai Shiba and Black Dragon leader Taiju Shiba. Then, due to independent action taken by the leaders of the First Division, Second Division Captain Mitsuya, Third Division Captain Danny, and eventually, Mikey, Baji, and I, fought and defeated Taiju Shiba and all of Black Dragon. Some members would like to address everyone about this incident," Draken continued before pausing. "First, Hakkai Shiba... come forward!"

Without hesitation, Hakkai marched up and stood beside Mikey and Draken. "This all began... with my selfish lie. To maintain that lie, I brought my family, Toman, into this. Things got out of hand and turned into a war between Toman and Black Dragon. I'm to blame for it. Everyone... I apologize," he said before giving a deep bow. 

As shouts of encouragement slowly chorused through the crowd, Danny smiled to herself. Their acceptance and reassurance gave her a small peace of mind. If they could forgive Hakkai for the conflict between Toman and Black Dragon, then they should be able to accept what she would say.

"Next," Draken began after Hakkai went back to Mitsuya's side, "Seishu Inui and Hajime Kokonoi, come forward!"

Everyone familiar with those two names was taken by surprise, and those who weren't familiar with the names were shocked when they saw the two Black Dragon members emerge. What are they doing here? Danny silently wondered to herself as they stood beside the two blonde commanders.

"I am Seishu Inui of the 11th Generation of Black Dragon."

"And I'm Hajime Kokonoi of the same gang. The 10th Generation of Black Dragon lost to Toman. The leader, Taiju Shiba, retired. We've taken over the 11th Generation of Black Dragon."

"And after negotiating, we've decided to join under Toman."

"Black Dragon will be assigned to the First Division, under Takemichi Hanagaki," Mikey said, surprising and shocking everyone further. "Got it, Takemitchy?" he added with a smile thrown at the flabbergasted boy.

Takemichi was at a loss of words for a few moments before he finally managed to ask, "Black Dragon is going to be under me? How come? Was that your decision, Mikey?"

"I'm respecting their request. "If we're going to be under Toman, we'd rather be under him." That is what they said." 

At those words, the pair descended the stairs before stopping a few feet in front of Takemichi and Chifuyu. "Glad to be here, Captain," Kokonoi said with a smile before sticking his tongue out a bit.

"I won't expect you to trust us," Inui said. "But when you need our help, just let us know... and we'll help you."

Take really has a way with people, huh? Danny thought with a smile before turning her attention back to the front.

"Silence!" Draken exclaimed, effectively quieting everyone. "Next, Danny would like to make an announcement!"

With a deep breath, she stepped forward, steeling herself for what she was about to say. Meanwhile, murmurs rippled through the crowd. Everyone was wondering what the Beast would have to say. Was there another traitor that he exposed? Was he going to declare war on another gang? Everyone under Danny's command knew exactly how his mood could flip on a dime. And once he got an idea in mind, it was almost impossible to talk him out of it, so they wouldn't be surprised in the least if he was announcing the latter. 

As she reached the top of the stairs, she gave Draken and Mikey a small smile, receiving the same gesture paired with reassuring nods. With another deep breath, she turned to face the crowd, her eyes quickly sweeping over familiar faces. Some were encouraging while others were curious. "What I'm about to say will probably change most of your opinions of me," she began with an air of confidence despite the small nervous pit in her stomach, "but I'll just have to hope that it doesn't." Everyone's undivided attention was on her now. As they found out with the last time she announced something, she knew how to get them on the edges of their seats, but the wait was worth it. "When I joined Toman, I presented myself as a lie. Well, I suppose it would be accurate to say that I've presented myself as a lie for the majority of my life, actually. But, over the past few months of my being with you all, that lie was slowly revealed to some of the people I've learned to trust here, as well as some past enemies now. And against all odds, they've accepted me in stride and haven't treated me any differently for it. All I can hope for now is that you all can do the same," she continued with her smile growing slightly. "My name is Danaju Hanagaki, Danny, Toman's Beast, Captain of the Third Division, and... Takemichi Hanagaki's older sister," she finished. Confused and shocked faces rippled through the crowd, but she wasn't worried so much about that. Her friends had already accepted her for what she was, and that was all that mattered. "I'm tired of hiding behind a lie that just makes everyone see me as an equal. If the truth makes you think less of me, then all I can say is "watch me." Just because the truth came to light, doesn't mean anything except your view has changed. I'll continue leading the Third Division and I'll continue fighting Toman's battles."