42

"Damnit... she's gonna kill me..." Baji grumbled as he walked. His mom had sent him out to the store, but it was just his luck that they had just closed when he got there. He was as good as dead when he got home, he just knew it.

As he walked by the river, a sound caught his attention. His brows furrowed a bit as he tried to identify what it was. It sounded like... sniffling? Curious, he scanned the slope that led to the river to his left. After just a few short seconds, he spotted a figure in the darkness. Whoever it was rocked back and forth slightly with their knees brought up to their chest and one hand in their hair while the other looked like it was holding their knees close. From the road ahead, a car drove by, the headlights illuminating the area for a moment before it darkness took over again. "Danny?" he questioned, his brows knitting together in worry. When he didn't get an answer, he began walking down the slope.

Come on... Fuck, just focus on anything else, damnit! Mermaids. Okay. George Washington claimed to have fucked one. Female manatee's reproductive organs are similar to humans. George was experiencing something close to cabin fever. He probably fucked a manatee. Geese have teeth on their- her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden sound of someone stepping right next to her. Without even thinking of the possibility that it was anyone but the two she ran away from earlier, her left hand that had been in her hair shot down to her pocket where her knife was.

"Danny, hey. Hey, it's me." A pair of warm hands engulfed her own that was just about to go into her pocket. "It's Baji, calm down. Okay?"

Her eyes widened as she looked up at his kneeling figure. "Jesus Christ, Baji, you almost got stabbed," she said with a sigh.

He sat down beside her, still holding her hand with his right one. One of his legs was bent up while the other was tucked close to his body. "What's wrong? You usually aren't so jumpy," he asked before feeling the slight tremble in her hand. Something wasn't right. Something definitely happened. It had to of because he had never seen her like this. Now, he was more worried than before. "Hey, what happened?" he asked with a softer and more gentle tone than before.

She swallowed the lump in her throat before taking a deep breath. "I..." But she couldn't get anything else out. Nothing but quiet sobs that she tried to stop. Her nails dug into the flesh of her leg as she begged herself to stop. She didn't want anyone seeing her in such a pathetic state, much less Baji. Her face buried itself into her knees as she gripped her leg tighter and clenched her freezing toes. Small choked sobs escaped her as she begged for it to stop. She pleaded with herself to calm down and just stop. She didn't want to do this in front of him.

A pair of arms wrapping around her and pulling her close suddenly cut off her thoughts. His hand reached to the back of her head and pulled her into his shoulder. His welcoming warmth and calming scent helped to relax her just a little. "Let it all out, okay?" Her eyes began tearing up once again. "I'm right here." His fingers began running through her hair as the tears began running down her cheeks. "'M not leavin', alright?" His other arm pulled her into his lap more while he continued running his fingers through her tangled locks. 

Her trembling arms for their way around his torso, her hands tightly clenching the back of his jacket as the dam that held back her tears broke. She buried her face into his neck like she was trying to hide from the world. She clung to his warmth as she realized just how cold she really was. She had no idea how long she had been out here. Twenty minutes? An hour? Maybe more? She had no way of knowing just how long it had been. All she knew was that she was freezing and that he was warm. She wasn't alone. She was safe. His larger arms and body almost felt like a shield to her. It was a different sense of security than all the times Sayu was the one holding her. It felt as though he could protect her from the entire world.