Embattled outpost

~Writer's note

A fair little warning here. In this chapter I included a song sang by the characters. Originally it is from the Port Sulphur Band (Name: Rise up dead man) just for credit but still, imagine it was sang by the characters. I also included the lyrics that they are singing. Said things said, ejnoy the following chapter. :)

______________________________________

~Vice Admiral Vess POV

While repeatedly swinging my pickaxe it quickly became dark around us. The only sources of light left were the floodlights guarded by the clones. I saw some of them belittle and pity us, but none had the courage to end our misery. I felt the rage in my entire body boil and tightening the grip on my pickaxe. Suddenly I feel a hand gently touching my shoulder, trying to calm me down a little.

"Unnecessary wasting our energy isn't what he would've wanted us to do." Commander Havok reminded me.

"You're speaking as if he already left this world." I answer.

"Maybe he did." he said, and his gaze wandered to the stone below, "I've seen many people die during our rebellion. Family, friends, lovers, and comrades. They all fell for a purpose they believed in from the bottom of their hearts. Sacrificed the last bit they had to give, in order to grant us the opportunity to build a new, what we destroyed. To build a better future for those who'd come after us, to grant those a chance of a better life, that never knew anything but hopelessness. That were the wishes we had for our fight, and those were the wishes Lord (S/N) shouldered for us, by taking the lead. He chose to become a leading figure in the rebellion, so that the hopeless would find hope, the broken would find light and the misguided would find the right way. He always did the best he could for those in need."

"You're speaking like this was his funeral, Commander Havok." I responded with a tear coming to my eye.

"Maybe it is." his gaze emptied for a second until the guards ordered us to line up and head to the quarters.

"Let's sing for him one last time." Commander Havok suggested, "Just like in the old days."

I smile found its way on my lips as I heard his idea.

"I have the perfect one." I answered as everyone started to stamp their foots on the ground forming a beat.

Then I began to sing.

"Rise up dead mean, let the gunshots ring."

"Mhmhmmmh" the others began to hum synchronously.

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

"Mhmhmmmh"

I was taken by how everyone paid his respect to the Lord and was singing with us and so I continued.

"Rise up dead men,

Let the gunshots ring.

Shadows calling,