Cheerleader Blues

Miss Abby calls us in to Studio A for pyramid when I notice Vivi doesn't have her dance clothes on

Miss Abby calls us in to Studio A for pyramid when I notice Vivi doesn't have her dance clothes on. Was Cathy really that dumb she couldn't understand the simple rules? 

"Vivi-Anne, where are your dance clothes?" Abby asks her as we stand in front of the paper triangle. She told her that they were in the car. "You need to be dressed and ready to dance when you walk into this building when you walk into this building, yes?" Vivi nodded quickly.

"Your mom was upset about the costume." Abby looked at Nia, "Your mom was upset about the costume before you even went onstage." she looked at Chloe, "But that can never happen again, understand me?" We all look over to Holly and Christi, our eyes going back and forth between them.

"Let's talk about what we're going to do this weekend. We're going to New Jersey and we are doing an acrobatic gymnastic routine. Overall, I evaluated all of your performances. So, McKinna you won that competition and your title, well done. But you went from winning by over 10 points to winning by one tenth of a point. Maddie, obviously you were second. That is why you were after Chloe. You went from being undefeated to coming second to your twin. I expect more from you next time."

McKinna
Chloe Maddie Brooke
Nia Paige Mackenzie Vivi-Anne

"Brooke, I expect you to help the younger students. And I expect you to know the choreography first and help everyone else." Miss Abby tells Brooke, who looks slightly worried, "All right, Nia, Paige, you'll be doing the tumbling part and the acro part. Vivi-Anna, becauuse you're new here, and you don't know all of our terminology, I'm going to work with you privately this week. And so you're going to do a solo at the competition this weekend.

"All right, girls, get up, get ready to rehearse." Miss Abby says and we all stand up, "Moms, tank you very much. Vivi, don't forget- you need to be in dance clothes whenever you walk in this room, ready to go."

Eventually after our extensive warm up, we started practising chin stands. Brooke did it super naturally however I noticed in particular Maddie and Paige struggling. I was hearing sniffles from outside, which I presume was Regan, who was kicked out of class for wearing the wrong clothes.

"May I speak to you for a minute?" Dawn, Regan's mom, entersing Studio.

"No." Miss Abby tells her, "I'm in rehearsal." No one disturbs Miss Abby during rehearsal except for Gia or one of the others, especially not moms.

"I just want to speak to you. You don't throw my kid out of class, I paid for class." Dawn raises her voice when Abby turns away.

"She's not dressed appropriately."

"I'm looking at every single kid out her, Abby. They all look like children, isn't that crazy, that children look like children? She's dressed appropriately." Dawn yells.

"You're a minister-" Miss Abby starts.

"Yes, I am a minister!" Dawn screams, "Let's play the bible game, Abby! When Jesus saw things that were wrong, he went after it! And I'll tell you what, I'm not going to do this to my kid!" We all quickly exited Studio A and run to the Dancer's Den.

"Phew, that was tense." I murmured to the girls.

"We escaped!" Maddie cheered as the others nodded their heads at me.

"Regan, goodbye. Out." we hear Abby say. Of course. Chloe and Paige hung their heads as she was kind of close to them. Regan was actually going to join us on the elite team and she went to the same school as some of us. It would be awkward for the Zieglers' tomorrow. Kenzie and Vivi ran up to the mothers' while me, Maddie, Brooke, Paige, Chloe and Nia ran into Studio B, where the seniors were having a class. Shame it wasn't acro. Dawn followed us, yelling about education while Regan stood in the background.

"May I have your phone?" Miss Abby asked Olivia, a popular senior dancer. Dawn started screaming even louder about calling the police. I tugged on Maddie's arm and we escaped into Studio C, where the others followed. Quickly, we returned to practising over the dance, Brooke doing some random contortion acts. None of us spoke in case she decided to follow us into here. But then Abby called us back into Studio A and was yelling the steps.

"Tuck and roll again, put your knees together. Now for the next part, roll upstage to me. Go to elbow, back attitude, arm pretty."  Abby starts speaking dance talk at us, back into the normal zone. Then Kelly entered and Abby got distracted. Gia took Chloe and Maddie out for their duet 'Everlasting Friends' that wasn't being broadcasted on the show.

Nia and I started practising front aerials and back walkovers because we really wanted to do a duet together, as we hadn't done one before. Then I help Vivi go over her solo, because she looked really confused. I think she likes dancing, just not in the way we do, like competing and stuff.

But she's nice. Just shy.

-Three Days To Competition-

We started rehearsing the routine, grasping at all the new choreography. Brooke and Paige hadn't arrived yet. Lucky for me, mom had organised me a private with Gia for acrobatics, so I actually found it really easy today. Then the Hylands arrived, with typical Abby scolding them for being late and making them warm up away from us. Brooke's eyes darted to and from of us, obviously feeling the pressure to learn all the new choreography, whereas Paige and Chloe just kept winking at each other because Chloe would teach Paige the choreo later.

"Nia, arms over your head straight. You keep bringing them up here." Miss Abby yells, raising her hands above her head, obviously still frustrated from yesterday. After a long period of yelling and correcting, as always, I was dismissed so Nia and I went off to go and practise. We both really wanted to do a musical theatre number, and we had found this music called 'Adelaide's Lament' about this women marrying a gangster but the wedding kept getting postponed. So Nia was pretending to be the gangster and I was being Adelaide. 

Gia came in and said she had an hour spare so she worked us through some choreography. It was super fun, I hope Miss Abby would let us perform it next competition- dancing with Nia was really funny because she is such a musical theatre dancer. She's so comical with her faces and great at doing sudden twists and movements.

I hope Miss Abby likes it.

-Competition Day-