The Battle Begins

McKinnaChloe MackenzieMaddie Brooke Nia Paige

McKinna
Chloe Mackenzie
Maddie Brooke Nia Paige

This week I'm on top of the pyramid and I'm over the moon. So far, Miss Abby has revealed that Chloe, Maddie and Kenzie have solos this week. Chloe's is a contemporary solo, 'Keep Burning', Kenzie's is a acrobatic jazz one called 'If the Shoe Fits' and Maddie's is the solo from last competition, the one she forgot, 'In My Heart'. Chloe, Brooke and Paige also have a jazz trio called 'Girls in the House'.

"Our last dance for this week is an emotional lyrical duet. Maddie, I want to challenge you with this. Your confidence has dropped and I'm not happy with that, so along with your solo you will be doing this duet and trust me, this routine is filled with advanced moves from the senior group and partnerwork. Your partner for this routine is..." we all look expectedly at Chloe, as she and Maddie are the ones who often get a duet together. "someone I think will perform this routine with the best of their ability. McKinna, I expect great things this week."

My jaw dropped and I ran over to my twin. Excited, we hugged. This will be our first ever duet on the show and I'm absolutely over the moon. The only things that dampens my mood is the dissapointed look on Chloe's face. With her and Maddie being the most common duet, I can tell she felt like she was being replaced.

Chloe, Chrisiti's Daughter

"I'm really happy for McKinna and Maddie, I'm just a bit dissapointed, because Maddie and I's duets are always a highlight for me."

"The routine is entitled 'Chasing Cars'. It is about not wanting to grow up and go your seperate ways, how you aren't one without the other. This songs connects strongly with you two, because what really is one without the other between you two? You're the premium package deal and I expect to see you two deliver that. Alright, we have the group rehearsal first."

A new change for once that is really exciting is that Chloe was the lead in the dance.  More on the dissapointing side of the dance, I'm rarely in it. When they all reach out for Chloe, I do this whole tumbling sequence but that is it.

"Maddie, McKinna, it is time to practise your duet." Miss Abby calls from outside of the Dancer's Den and we quickly bring out our pointe shoes, slightly confused. "Alright. Maddie, at the Joffery audition, in the judges' eyes you were a mess with potential. McKinna, at the audition, you were the favorite and did everything perfectly. That's why I'm giving you this. Maddie, the ballet side, yes this a lyrical ballet piece, will challenge you and it will be difficult trust me. McKinna, the lyrical side of this requires you specifically to really use those acting skills I know you have but you haven't been using enough."

I'm honestly in awe of this duet. It is the most beautiful one, other than Kenzie and I's at Nationals, that I've ever done and I love it so much. To be doing it with my twin made it only better. There is so much emotion and difficulty and honestly I'm in awe.

"Alright McKinna, you're dismissed for the day, go and check with Gianna if there is a ballet class today or a contemporary one, I'm pleased with that. Maddie, go get Chloe for her solo practise and then after that we'll rehearse yours." we both nod her heads and leave. However, I go straight to the front desk and Maddog goes straight to the Dancer's Den.

"Hey Gianna, Miss Abby wanted me to check to see if there was a ballet or contemporary class today." I give her my best smile, because I always feel like Gia does so much and we never give back to her, so I always try my best to be polite to her.

"Well, in that case I presume, I'll put your name down for both of those and someone called in sick for some acting and singing lessons, would you like those?" Gia asked me as she typed on the computer.

"Yes please, thank you Gia." I wave goodbye and return to my friends. Nia and Paige sat in there with Maddie, no doubt Brooke and Kenzie gone doing some acrobatic stuff and Chloe was practising her solo.

"Do you even want to do your solo this week?" Nia asks curiously as I tie up my pointe shoes.

"I don't know, what if I go on stage and forget the routine again?" Maddie shook her head.

"You won't, you got 'em Mads,  that competition will crumble in your hands." I add on dramatically.

"Nah, it is time for Chloe to have some time where she can shine. I need to regain my confidence anyway, so the duet this weekend will be good for that." Maddie dismisses it.

"Well, Kinna, Nia, Brooke and I are all very happy to take that solo from you if you like." Paige paused. "Wait, I had an idea! Maddie, you can teach Kinna your solo and she will pretend to be you at the competition and prove to you that you can do your solo."

All of us stop and look at Paige. Nia looks very divided, torn between genius or cheating, Maddie looked confused and I sat there, processing my thoughts. I already did know most of the solo and it wasn't extremely difficult for a Maddie solo, so it wasn't actually so much out of the picture.

"Paige, we can't, it is cheating." Maddie finally exclaimed, unleasing her horror. "If Miss Abby found out, we'd all be in so much trouble."

"But would it help you? If McKinna danced your solo with no mistakes and you got to see it?" Paige pressed on, trying to get her idea across.

"I don't know, Paige." Nia cast her doubt on it.

"I don't think it it such a bad idea," I finally say, "if it helps you Maddog, but only if it helps you." I'm not risking that if it isn't helpful for her. I'd do anything for my twin, but we could get in a lot of trouble for something she didn't want to do and if Miss Abby found out- goodbye National solos.

"Well, I mean, I guess, but surely Miss Abby will be able to tell the difference between us, she practically raised us!" Maddie chewed on her lip nervously, hoping no one would hear the conversation.

"Maddie, on stage, we look exactly the same! That's the whole reason we have our duet." I gave her a look dismissing her concerns. For once I was unable to read my twin's emotions so I was unsure of what she would say.

"Well... okay, I guess, as long as we don't get into any trouble." she said, nervously. "But no one else can know from the team, okay? Not Chloe, Brooke or Kenzie." Paige looked torn, not wanting to not tell her best friend, but Nia nodded.

"How are we even going to pull this off, though? What about after the show, as soon as you talk to any of the others they'll know it is Maddie, not Kinna." Nia thought out loud and Paige immediately brightened.

"Kinna won't need to talk to the other girls, she'll have to run offstage and maybe give them a hug, but she won't speak and she'll run to the toilet. Maddie will already be in there, wearing the spare costume and they'll look exactly the same. Maddie will come out and Kinna will change into the duet outfit. No one will tell the difference. It's perfect!" Paige exclaimed and we all are taken aback. I wasn't expecting such an evil mastermind to come from Paigey Mack, the most innocent one of us all. It makes sense, though, I guess.

"Alright, let's do it. Kinna and I will go down to the movie theatre or the stage area in our new house and I'll teach her the routine. If anyone comes down to check on us, like Kenzie, we'll pretend to be watching a movie that's not appropriate for her age but something mom wouldn't like." Maddie added.

"Whatcha guys talking about?" Chloe came into the Dancer's Den and Nia quickly jumped into action and told her about how they were teasing me about Alejandro.

This idea is the absolutely craziest adventure I've ever embarked on, even crazier than Broadway. If we get caught, there's so many consequences. If we don't, then everything will be back to normal. The risk outways the benefit but then again, when have we never not fought for the benefit?

This is a battle to help my sister feel safe to dance again.

And I'd do anything to win it.

-Two Days to Competition-