Night of the Living Dancers

McKinnaChloe Nia BrookePaige Mackenzie Maddie

McKinna
Chloe Nia Brooke
Paige Mackenzie Maddie

"Maddie, you're on the bottom this week. You won, but were you really confident? Was it even you on that stage? From the mess you were to weeks ago to that stunning piece, I don't think so. Solo this week, exactly the same. I don't care where you place or what you do but you need to dance." Maddie shrinks as Paige, Nia and I all exchange glances. After the switcheroo last week, we're all being really careful to make sure Miss Abby doesn't find out.

"Alright, McKinna. You're on top this week. You were absolutely beautiful onstage in the duet, your tumbling was perfect in the group routine and clearly you helped your twin a lot. But I believe you have some big news to share with everyone before I continue." Miss Abby looks at me and I brighten up immediately.

"After last week's competition, I got a call from Cesar from Telsey+Company, my agent, for an audition for the Broadway production of Matilda the Musical." I tell them all excitedly. Maddie and Kenzie already knew, because I don't keep anything from them, but I really, really wanted this to be a surprise. "But to make sure I get a callback, I have to send a video of me doing a musical theatre solo."

"Exactly. This week, Maddie, you know your solo, Chloe, 'Unchained' is the name and it is contemporary, Kinna, 'Goodbye Peter Pan', musical theatre, Paige, 'Tongue Twister', jazz, you know this routine and Brooke, 'Paint the Pictures', acrobatics. Mackenzie and Nia, a acro duet 'Circus Circus' and then the group dance is jazz called 'Glam'. It's a busy week and an important one for McKinna, too, so everything needs to run as smoothly as possible please." Miss Abby tells us before dismissing the moms.

I was so excited when I got the call about being in Matilda. I didn't expect another opportunity to be on Broadway for about 2 years, which is the average wait time for someone who isn't constantly auditioning, etcetera. Maddie is also really excited, because she's getting an audition for Amanda Thripp, Matilda's best friend, which I'm not exactly sure how it will work, 'cause we look identical, but she is my best friend so I can see it.

"Girls, what is this?" Miss Abby lifts up one of Paige's legs and points at her feet, which are sickled. "Have you forgotten all basic training? I will not stand for sickled feet. Look at Maddie, for goodness sake, name one thing wrong with how she does the routine. Maddie, go." My twin gives us a nervous look and proceeds to do the routine.

"Brooke? Nia? Paige? Chloe?" Miss Abby asks them. "Can any of you name one thing wrong with that routine? No, you can't because it was flawless." I raise my hand, which makes me feel horrible, but surely Miss Abby knew the routine wasn't perfect. "McKinna?"

"Mads', you were doing the faces for 'In My Heart' instead of 'Glam'." my twin winces slightly and I feel even worse. But I can't stand seeing Miss Abby constantly putting the other girls down and always putting Maddie up, or me. We all can dance amazingly, so why should anyone get priority? Why should any of us have to fight to be the favorite?

"Brooke, solo rehearsal now. Girls, you're dismissed. Paige, start warming up." we all leave and return to Dancer's Den. 

It's gonna be a long day.

~

After about two hours, finally it is my turn to practise my solo. I'm really excited, but I don't think Miss Abby was happy with me when I pointed out literally the one tiny flaw in Maddie's performance, just so she could improve. 

"Alright, McKinna." I gulped. Miss Abby doesn't really use my full name often anymore, so I'm a bit nervous. "Your routine is musical theatre, so everything needs to be slightly exaggerated, but still beautiful. I expect nothingless. For this routine, you need to act like Wendy. There will be a prop as well, the mast of a ship, and you will be dancing using it and etcetera. Alright, Gianna, would you mind playing the music?"