All's Fair in Love and War

NO GIF FOR THIS CHAPTER

Maddie
Mackenzie Nia Alejandro
Brooke Kendall Paige McKinna

"On the bottom of the pyramid this week I have McKinna. Never have I been so dissapointed in one of my students before. 6th place? The Abby Lee Dance Company does not do 6th place. Maybe you would've known that if you had've attended boot camp but instead you went to a clearly useless ballet program. Don't forget that everyone is replaceable."

I wipe my eyes and nod my head. I'm not crying, not just yet. I have to stay strong, I'm the mom of the group, I have to be the example.

Coming 6th place was heartbreaking. I think I might've come fourth before back in season 2, but sixth is an all time low. Maddie doesn't get fourth or sixth, she wins. I have to be that, I'm trying so hard to convince myself that being the favorite is a toxic lifestyle but I can't help but want it with all my heart. After the competition I literally cried for an hour into Jandro's shoulder while Brooke comforted me and the other girls followed suit.

"This week we have the group dance you all decided not to do. Alejandro has a lead part, Ziegler twins and some of the rest of you as well.  It's lyrical, and following in that path we have Maddie, you have a solo entitled 'Lifeline'. An easy win. Then I have two jazzy routines, Nia and Kendall, you two have a modern jazz duet 'Dig It', while Mackenzie, your solo is acrobatic jazz 'Love and War'."

I can feel the piercing gaze of Miss Abby at my forehead as I look at my dance teacher, someone who practically raised me, and feel a rush of fear. Is she going to take away Maddie and I's duet?

"Lastly, we have two contemporary routines. A duet with McKinna and Maddie named 'Golden' and a contemporary solo named 'Not About Angels'. I had options here. Chloe, Kendall and McKinna, you will be battling it out to get this solo."

Battling it out? We're having a dance battle? Chloe has done heaps of contemporary solos and Kendall was specifically chosen for this team by Abby in season 2. I better hope my improvisation skills are up to scratch.

Maddie gets called in for her solo practise so us three competing for the solo have some time to prepare. I'm doing my improv part to 'The Lucky One' by this artist Taylor Swift! She released her album 'Red' in 2012 and I really like her music.

"I'm hella nervous." I tell Jandro as I warm up and stretch before it is my turn. I want this solo to redeem myself to Abby. I have to prove myself. "Did you hear the moms want to take Miss Abby speed dating?"

"It won't work, Miss Abby is like that disgusting cough medicine my dad gives me when I'm trying to get out of school by pretending to be sick." 

"Imagine how much nicer she would be though." I frown. "Don't look at me like that, she might change."

"She's the best dance teacher in the world, I'll give her that, but she's toxic Kinna. You're too nice."

"McKinna, get in here!"

"Wish me luck."

Chloe and Kendall are already inside when I enter and Miss Abby looks at me expectantly, which makes me realize I'm going first, oh yippee dee dee. I stand in the centre of Studio A and wait for my music to play.

I do varying acro tricks, like my signature helicopter, and some contemporary gestures. I decided to make it an acro-contemporary piece, because the story is about being famous. I think I'm doing well, at one point I see Kendall giving me a thumbs up and Chloe smiling, because I'm kinda too scared to look at Miss Abby, mainly cause I'm desperate to get this solo. Ziegler solo week would be kinda ironic, don't ask me why.

After I go, Chloe goes with a musical theatre styled improv from this new movie Frozen, she's like playing an ice queen, which is pretty damn cool. Kendall ended up doing a lyrical piece from an artist I didn't know, but she accidentally messed up her turns and got distracted so she forgot her facial expressions, but it was good otherwise.

"You're all dismissed, Gianna and I will tell you tomorrow who gets the solo." we all nod. "McKinna stay, Kendall and Chloe go, Maddie in."

In case you forgot, Maddie and I were working on a contemporary duet 'Golden' last week on Miss Abby's orders. This week we get to perform it against Kendall and Nia, who have a duet 'Dig It'.

It's super pretty and about heartbreak, so a typical ALDC contemporary routine. I think we could win but we have some pretty fierce competition, of course.

"More emotion, you two. It's like watching robots. If I wanted robots, I'd be putting you in silver boxes!" Miss Abby yells and we nod. I thought it looked awesome in the mirror, because there is a lot of ballet twisted throughout the routine, but clearly not. 

Like on one hand, we have to e precise and perfect, but convey emotions neither of us had faced before. Plus, after the competition, it is only three days to Christmas! I kinda wanna open my presents already, it's torturous watching them under the tree, and come on, I'm not the only one, Kenzie nearly got caught trying to figure out what her presents were.

"Finally some technique, dance isn't all about emotion, the judges want to see a flawless routine!"

The. Literal. Hypocracy. Anyway, finally we do it to the Abby Lee standard and we get dismissed, hallelujah. Jandro's words keep replaying in my head. I'm not that nice, am I? Nah, I ripped into Payton Ackerman in season 2, there's no way.

"Kinna, you are literally the nicest person on Earth, seriously."

Oops, I said that out loud.

"You still are."

Damn it.

"McKinna Maryen Zieger!" my mother yells at me and I rush off. Oops.

-Two Days to Competition-

This morning has certainly been interesting...

Somehow we ended up throwing a wedding for Paige and Chloe, so they could plan their double wedding even more- I was Paige's maid of honour! Maddie was Chloe's and Nia was the wedding planner. Kenzie was the flower girl, Brooke was the emotional elder sister who wrote a speech about how the groom wasn't worthy of Paige and Kendall was the person dragged off by Brooke by saying that she objected the wedding.

But then, in a twist of fate, Abby and the Lifetime producers walked in and it was really funny, because Paige and Chloe were both wearing their old white dance costumes, while Brooke and Kendall were like having a mock fist fight while Maddie and I were pretending to gossip while Nia was having a fake meltdown at the wedding drama.

So yeah, that was my morning. Anyway, now Miss Abby has called everyone into Studio A, even the moms to announce who is getting the contemporary solo. Kendall, Chloe and I are all standing in front of everyone else.

"It was a rather obvious choice if I'm honest. Kendall, please join the other girls, your improv was a mess and it was a terrible song choice. If I had've thrown that into competition, you wouldn't have made top 10." I can already see red circles around Kendall's eyes and Jill steps forward.

"Abby, that's ridiculous, she just got flustered, she should be able to get a second chance."

"Well, I have a second chance for her. It's to leave the team if her mom doesn't watch her damn tongue." Miss Abby glares her down.

"Chloe and Kinna, you both performed well. However, if we were going to compare, then I think we all know who won. But to see if your teammates and mothers agree, I have a box here. Everyone has written either of your names on a piece of paper and put them in this box. Let's see if they agree. McKinna, pick out the first piece of paper."

This is actually cruel. Miss Abby is tormenting us with this and nobody is trying to stop her. I gulp and pull out a slip.

"Chloe." I read. Chloe steps forward and also reads her own name out. I go again, and once more it is Chloe. Tears start to form in my eyes but I hold them back. I should be happy for my friend.

"McKinna." Chloe reads out and I smile faintly. At least one person roots for me. Soon six pieces of my name are stacked up while five pieces of paper with Chloe's name stand beside. I hug her and whisper an apology in her ear but she just smiles and dismisses it.

"Well, then it is decided. Gianna and I also thought McKinna was the best fit. McKinna, you will be the one performing 'Not About Angels' this weekend." I faintly smile once again, because I can't bring myself to properly smile when I just saw my friend be publically humiliated on international TV.

"Everyone out, McKinna stay, we need to get as much practise in as possible." 

This routine is actually scary awesome. It's super contemporary, so super up my lane. Contemporary is my comfort zone plus, like 'Golden', it has ballet twisted through it. Also Gianna brought my costume out for me to try on and I could've screamed. I look like the bride in Chloe and Paige's wedding, just kidding.

But then to top it of, I literally get a halo on top of my head. I have no idea how it works, but it does, because I danced the whole routine in it and oh my dear lord, it looked so gorgeous. Chloe would've nailed this routine, so I feel bad rejoicing in it while she got less votes than me.

It's time to prove myself after last week's disgrace.

-Competition Day-