Boys Are Cuties, Girls Have Cooties

"I just want to have a look at what fourth place looks like

"I just want to have a look at what fourth place looks like." Miss Abby glares down on us all. Yeah, she's not happy with the group dance results, but then again, when is she? "This weekend, we will be traveling to Voorhees, New Jersey. We will be attending On Stage America. I don't want to be fourth again. You will not disgrace the Abby Lee Dance Company again."

With the group dance coming fourth, Kenzie being third and Chloe second, even though she beat Bella, she lost to Kaeli, the sprinkles were dusted on top of the cake after Studio Bleu beat the ALDC.

"The only success of the competition was McKinna and Alejandro's duet. First place by miles, the chemistry was just emphasized everywhere onstage and it was great. A round of applause, please."

Everyone clapped and I took a joking bow. Jandro and I shared a side hug and then we waited for Miss Abby to tell us about the dances this week. Hopefully I get a solo!

McKinna, Melissa's Daughter
"I really want a solo this week. I've only had two this season and it would mean so much to me if I was allowed to have one. I want to prove myself to Miss Abby so bad!"

"On the bottom, this week, Mackenzie, you will not be performing in the group routine this weekend." Miss Abby pulls the next headshot. "Maddie, at Nationals, you were amazing, just as good as Chloe and McKinna, but McKinna won and now it seems like you're out of the picture. Maybe it isn't Maddie vs Chloe, but Kinna vs Chloe. We'll have to see."

"Second on the pyramid, this weekend, McKinna. You looked amazing in the duet, the flips were flawless and you looked like Cinderella. But in the group dance, you needed to lead, you stepped up to the role because Brooke clearly couldn't. But it placed fourth. What does that say about you?" I looked at my nails and nodded my head at the criticism. I keep telling myself how it isn't necessary to be the favorite, to just be me, but it burns inside of me to please my dance teacher.

Alejandro
McKinna Chloe Kendall
Nia Paige Maddie Mackenzie

"Alejandro was the only flawless one of the week. You were confident, you had perfect technique and you were the best part of the group dance. Nobody else in the group that got fourth place deserves that spot. Antonio, I don't know what you're doing, but it's working."

Antonio grinned and even I could see the faint smile appearing on Jandro's face. I squeezed his hand, then letting it go. I'm happy for him, it is good for him to catch a break from his dad for once.

"Brooke, I don't have you on the pyramid."

"She's been here every week. What is the purpose of her coming here every week if you're not going to put her on the pyramid?" Kelly protested and I could see the drama swirling.

"Brooke, do you really want to be here?" Miss Abby asks and Brooke nods, which earns her a dissapointed sigh, which just confuses me. "See, for me, that is not a response I'm lookin' for."

"This weekend, we are doing a group dance called 'Pink Lemonade'. Brooke, you will be in the group dance. Alejandro and Mackenzie, not this week. I have five solos and two duets. Kendall, you have a solo, entitled 'Owe You Nothing'. Remember that- I owe you nothing. You are very lucky. Embrace this opportunity and make the most of it. Nia, you also have a solo, called 'A Hundred Years From Now'. Is it gonna take a hundred more years to straighten those legs and point those feet or are you gonna do it now?"

"Chloe, do you think you can do the dance that I teach you? Have you talked to your mom about stopping the advocacy for all the other mothers? This is a contemporary routine, there's a lot of hits, accents. It's stronger than you've been doing before and it is called 'Left in the Dark'. Our second last solo goes to Alejandro. It's about time and I'm sorry for the delay. You also have a contemporary routine called 'Healing Hands'. i don't want you in the same section as my girls, so you will be in the teen section and you will be entered for Teen Mr On Stage America."

"Our last solo goes to McKinna. You've been desperate for a solo and your hard work has paid off, but I won't forget your role in the group dance. I'm going to expect more by the end of the season, so start stepping out now. Two duets. Kendall and McKinna, congratulations, this will be your first duet. Alejandro and Paige, same for you. Paige, Kendall, you guys are going to have to keep up, you've got duets with probably the two best dancers on the team at the moment, now Maddie's being demoted."

So yeah, busy weekend for me. I'm so happy I have a solo though! And a duet with Kendall K. I guess I'm gonna have to get used to Jandro doing duets and trios with other people. Oh well, it's like sharing Mads, I don't like it but I can only expect it.

Chloe, Nia and Kendall get their solo practises first, so Jandro, Maddie, Kenz and I all head to Studio C to mess around for a bit, because due to the crazy schedule, there are no classes for anyone else this week.

"I can't believe I don't have any dances this week." Kenzie complains, upset as we sit down. "I placed higher than the group dance and I don't get anything."

"Welcome to the club, sis. Sorry, Alejandro and MK, you two are too good for us mortal beings." Maddie joked, tickling my side, which makes me laugh. Kenz pouts, but I send her a warning glance. No need for a Ziegler showdown today.

"It'll be weird doing duets with other people, doing the duet with Sophia was already weird. I'm glad for my solo though." Jandro contributes.

"I'm excited to dance with Kendall K! And I'm so thrilled to have a solo. But I wish you two could dance two." I told my sisters.

We keep talking for a bit longer, till Maddie and Kenz decide to go up to visit mom and Jandro and I have to go to solo practise. Mine is up first, which I'm excited about, then I have duet practise, then Miss Abby will run through the group dance and after Paige and Jandro's duet. Crazy week, this one, I tell you.

"Alright, Kinna. This week you will be doing a lyrical piece entitled 'The Monster Under My Bed'. It's about a little girl who is being tormented by depression and accepting her inner chaos. It's dark, but the song itself is a little upbeat, so you will start the song darker and as your portrayal finally accepts the chaos, you will become a little more, well chaotic."

This routine is really different to what has kinda have become the norm for me. A darker lyrical piece, chaotic as described by Miss Abby, but it also has crazy moves. I have a new move that is called a 'Whack Back'. A famous kid dancer performs it, so now I have to. Of course, the helicopters, illusions, knee drops and russian switch leaps all come into play. During the chorus, it is a little bit slower, so I have an arabesque sequence in there.

Problem is, I'm struggling, like a lot, with the 'Whack Back'. I can perform it effortlessly, but I hesistate because my mind is screaming at me when I'm trying to basically throw myself back. So yeah.

"McKinna, this is a big opportunity. If you win with this solo- you win Junior Miss On Stage America- this will be big. You haven't proved yourself lately and now is your chance to really step it up." I gulp and prepare myself to start the routine again. Jandro and the moms are the only ones watching me now, my sisters have dissapeared again, but still it feels like there is so much pressure.

Again, I start the routine trying hard to focus on the task at hand. No sickled feet, no sticking out my already enlarged stomach (Miss Abby's words, not mine) and not one error, I remind myself constantly as I run through it, dancing and pouring everything I have into it. It would break me if Abby said that Maddie would be better suited to this routine, just 'cause she normally gets lyrical solos.

"Well, we certainly have quite a lot of work on our hands before the competition, don't we? Alejandro, come up- McKinna, Gia is waiting for you with Kendall in Studio C."

-Two Days to Competition-