Bye Bye Baby

MaddieNia Kendall MackenzieBrooke McKinna Paige Alejandro

Maddie
Nia Kendall Mackenzie
Brooke McKinna Paige Alejandro

It couldn't be a sadder week at the ALDC. Broadway Baby passed away, Miss Abby's literal dog/daughter, and one of my childhood best friends. Our dance teacher hasn't even shown up at rehearsals and she only doesn't normally if Christi, Jill or Kelly have caused drama, because if I'm honest, Holly is the best mom and our mom fangirls over Abby so.

We have a group dance this week, Alejandro is in it! Kenzie isn't but, she's gotten used to unfortunately having to be a seat filler. That is Miss Abby's kinda jig when you are young. Maddie, Nia and I all have solos. Maddie has a solo called 'Showing You My Heart' whereas Nia's is 'Breaking My Heart'. Kinda funny right?

But because I skipped boot camp to go to the Joffery Ballet program, Miss Abby has given me a ballet solo. Ballet is rarely competed at competitions due to the precise nature of it. In fact, only one dance on Dance Moms has ever been ballet so far I believe and that was Chloe ages ago. So yeah, am I feeling the pressure, hell yeah.

"Just show me that little plie to releve to chasse to turn sequence again." Gianna tells me and I do it again, focusing on the little parts. "Nice Kinna. Now a pique en arabesque."

And to make this even harder, it is an en pointe ballet solo. For those who may not understand, en pointe is like the hardest form of ballet ever. Plus, Gia has choreograped grand jetes, fouettes and of course pirouettes. 

"More extension of the leg in that grand jete, or you'll fall flat on your face." 

Plus, because of Miss Abby's absence, Gianna is kinda harnessing her energy and there is still a very straight line at the ALDC. No little bumps or anything.

"Go to the ballet bar with James, I want you to be doing large battements so when I call you back in here later for your private, you don't look like you are going to just flop on your face. That's what it looks like right now if I'm honest."

I nod and wave to Gianna, sending Nia in with a 'beware stare', just to warn her. I feel terrible for Miss Abby, Broadway Baby was the love of her life. Oh and Kenzie has an unaired solo as well! I kinda forgot to mention that.

The Joffery Ballet program was amazing. I did solos, duets, trios and made so many friends. I wish Mads and Chloe had've been there, but mom wants Maddie to be the teacher's pet and Christi already has enough drama with Abby to get Chloe kicked out if she didn't attend boot camp.

"Hi Paigey Mack. Wanna come with me to the ballet bar? Gianna is summoning her inner Abby." I ask her, because one, she's my bestie, two, James is probably feeling pressure right now from Gia as he is like third-in-command.

"Sure, but first, we're sending a card to Miss Abby to say that we hope she gets better soon and we're sorry about Broadway Baby. Do you wanna add anything?" I nod my head quickly and draw a ballerina on the card, holding a dog, sign it with my name and pass it back. "What does this mean?"

"She'll understand." I say. Contradictory to popular opinion, we, or at least I, actually quite like Miss Abby outside of dance, and I'm very close to her. She told me about her dreams when she was younger to be a ballerina and how she would own a dog just like Broadway Baby. Hopefully it makes her feel better!

-Two Days to Competition-

Miss Abby still hasn't come back, but instead of doing the group dance we're supposed to do, the moms have come up with this improv routine to this song called 'Beautiful Day'. Antonio, of course, was very demanding that Jandro has a centre role, because the old routine he had a very important role in.

My ballet solo isn't coming together great if I'm honest. I keep forgetting or messing up little parts, but I'm praying it comes together before competition.

"Maddie, McKinna, Studio C, James is waiting." Gianna yells and we look at each other in confusion. The only dance we have together this week is the group dance and if it was about that everyone else would be going in to.

"Alright, girls, Abby has decided she wants you two doing a duet next week. But she wants you to learn it this week, don't ask me why. It is contemporary and entitled 'Golden'."

Oh my lord, it is absolutely gorgeous, it is about being vulnerable after heartbreak, so Maddog and I are pretending we were in love with the same guy and he cheated on us, so it's like kinda about the sisterhood but at the same time I'm not actually sure so like. 

"Maddie, can I have more emotion through the movements? And Kinna, maybe not so sharp, a bit more rounded?"'

Life here is so bloody crazy.

-Competition Day-