Waiting for Joffery

MaddieBrooke MackenzieMcKinna Paige Nia Chloe"We have two trios, some solos and a group dance this week

Maddie
Brooke Mackenzie
McKinna Paige Nia Chloe

"We have two trios, some solos and a group dance this week. It'll be busy." Miss Abby glares at us all. "You better deal with it." I raise my hand and her icy stare falls on me. "Yes, Kinna."

"There are seven of us and two trios. Doesn't that mean one of us will be excluded?" I ask, hoping it isn't me who gets cut. Mom told us all the rumour is that a Joffery agent will be coming to the competition, and I can't afford to be excluded- not if I want a lot of time on stage, which to be fair, I always do because that means more dance.

"Yes." she moves on. "I'm gonna split the group in half. The trios are gonna be Mackenzie, Paige and Nia. You will be doing a high-energy jazz routine incorporating gymnastic tumbling. Then I have Brooke, Maddie and Chloe. You will be doing a contemporary lyrical routine. Chloe, it's about time you do a trio. Brooke, you've never done a trio with these girls, so this is gonna be all new for you. Chloe, Maddie and McKinna, you will be doing solos as well." This time, it is mom who raises her hand.

"I know McKinna has a solo, but how is she supposed to show that she can work in a team to the Joffery agent?" I grimace. I know mom wants the best for me- but Nia, Paige, Brooke and Kenzie all are only dancing twice as well, so I really don't need another dance in the end.

"Well, to adress that issue, Melissa, McKinna is going to have two solos. Last season you missed out on doing your annual tap solo- that isn't going to happen again." the moms all look shell shocked, clearly upset. I beam excitedly. The only over person to get two solos was Maddie, back in season 1, so this is a big deal.

"But Abby, clearly that isn't fair to Chloe or Maddie or any of the other girls dancing only twice." Christi protests avidly, which makes me upset. Why is it so bad that I get to dance twice? If it was Chloe, Christi would be over the moon.

"Quite clearly, Christi. That's why McKinna's tap solo will be in the teen solo category, and her musical theatre solo will be in the junior." Immediately, mom gasped, Christi looked satisfied and I sat there in horror.

Yes, it was a big achievement if Miss Abby thought my tap was good enough to compete against teenagers, but the most horrific part was that I had a musical theatre solo. I love musical theatre, don't get me wrong, but against Maddie and Chloe undoubtedly doing beautiful lyrical routines, how on earth did I have a chance? No wonder Christi was thrilled, Chloe would shine in the beautiful lyrical solo, I was against teens with a style I rarely compete and against Chloe, with musical theatre, which wasn't designed to show technique or deep emotional understanding.

McKinna, Melissa's Daughter
"I'm really happy Miss Abby thinks I'm a strong enough dancer to compete against teenagers, but I don't know about my junior solo. Musical theatre isn't known for beating beautiful lyrical solos, like Chloe and Maddie perform."

"Alright, moms, you're dismissed. Girls, start stretching and warming up in the Dancer's Den. McKinna, we're gonna work on your tap solo, because that is the one that is gonna need the most work, no doubt." Miss Abby tells us all and I do a very short, quick warm up.

"Alright, McKinna, your tap solo this week is called 'Brighter Than the Sun'. It's a beautiful, emotional tap piece, but since you are against the older, mature girls and boys, you are gonna have to work hard. No more sickled feet and slacking off in rehearsal. Pick yourself up and dance. Alright, let's start with the choreography." Miss Abby corrects me. I have noticed I've been off my ball game a little lately, so having two solos better wake me up.

Two hours later, I'm sitting up in Dance Jail with the moms, watching the trios be rehearsed. My tap solo is exactly what Miss Abby described it as, a beautiful, emotional solo. It really is gorgeous and I have to do it enough justice for it to be worth it. At least Miss Abby seemed happy.

"How do you feel having two solos, McKinna?" Holly asked me as I took some dirt out of my nails, a habit of mine.

"Like it's gonna be a lot of work, but it is definitely gonna be worth it. I'm really honored Miss Abby chose me, but a bit nervous in the end." I say. Mom elbows me and points to Abby, who is pointing at me to come down. "I've gotta rehearse the group routine, bye!" I run down the stairs and straight into Studio A.

The last dance rehearsal of the day in Studio A was my musical theatre solo, after Chloe and Maddie practised their solos. Nia, Paige and Kenzie were rehearsing their trio in Studio C and Brookie Cookie was helping them.

"Alright Kinna." Miss Abby calls me in. "Now, you have that absolutely beautiful tap routine, but in the junior category, you have the musical theatre routine, "Something There'. This is a song from Beauty and the Beast, because I know that is one of your all time favorite musicals. Are you willing to prove yourself?" I nod my head eagerly. I love Beauty and the Beast.

By the end of the day, my twin and I are exhausted to the point that we are walking around the studio like zombies talking about chocolate frappes and chocolte chio cookies, how they should work together but the chocolate frappe makes the chocolate in the chocolate chip cookie sour and then how it doesn't taste nice. If you can't tell, we were knackered.

This week is going to be mayhem.

-Two Days to Competition-