I Know What You Did Last Competition

MaddieMcKinna Nia MackenzieChloe Paige Brooke"This week, we will be attending the Energy Dance Competition again

Maddie
McKinna Nia Mackenzie
Chloe Paige Brooke

"This week, we will be attending the Energy Dance Competition again. It's in Waterfored Township, Michigan. Last week, when I called to enter the routines, Gina, the owner, told me that there are two studio specifically coming to beat us. I'm going to have to pull out all the stops. Our group number this week is called 'Silver Spoon'. Silver means the finest quality of flatware, meaning the luxuries of life. The country club, the, uh, finest schools, so this is a pretty dance. We also have a prop. It's a giant, big spoon and you're going to have to pass it around throughout the routine." I brighten up. I love dancing with props, which is why most of my solos have them.

"McKinna, I'm proud of you. Both Maddie and Chloe had routines in styles they were very comfortable in and I know you don't do a lot of musical theatre solos. However, Maddie, you made a comeback. Second is not something I would normally settle for, but you remembered the routine. I still think the second time you did your solo was better, but you were confident this time. That is what earned you this week's top spot."

"The rest of the routines are three solos, a duet and a trio. Maddie, a contemporary routine called 'Helen Keller', Mackenzie, a cute little acro routine called 'Daisy Chains', and Nia, another contemporary routine called 'Bound'. Chloe and Maddie, this week you have a lyrical duet called 'Inside of Me'. Our trio, Brooke, Paige and Kinna. It's musical theatre and it's called 'Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better'. Brooke, I don't feel you're mature enough to lead this routine, so McKinna, you will be straight, middle and centre."

Brooke, Paige and I all exchange a glance. Even I know that there is no way I should be the lead in this dance and it should definitely be Brooke. At least though, we all get to dance. It sucks being a seat filler and no one wants that job.

First up are solo rehearsals. I'm really excited for Nia, getting a contemporary solo, because unfortunately she doesn't get nearly as many as she should, and I'm excited for Kenzie, getting a solo. Even thought she won't be in the group dance I'm thrilled for her, because she really is a talented dancer. 

Of course I'm also over the moon for Maddie, because Helen Keller is a really big historical figure, as she was an American author, disability rights advocate, political activits and lecturer. But she often gets solos, so it probably isn't as significant as it is for Nia and Kenz. 

Then it is the duet and trio practise. Paige, Brooke and I all sit against the mirror and quietly talk while Chloe and Maddie dance, beautiful as always. Miss Abby, as always, has a lot to say about Chloe and pratically just ignores Maddie because she's perfect. Which makes absolutely no sense, but you know, that is Miss Abby for you.

"Alright, Paige, Brooke and Kinna. McKinna, stand right in the middle of where the top of the pyramid. Paige about four meters behind her, two meters to my right and Brooke, the same but to my left. Nice, girls, at least you can do this right." Paige and I roll our eyes while Brooke stands there, emotionless.

"This is fun, this is sassy, this is over the top, it's musical theatre. I need to see that from you three girls, alright?" Miss Abby tells us and we all nod our heads, eager to please. Surprisingly, this routine is actually quite technical, with lots of parts we need straight legs for or all of us doing turns at the same time. But it's especially hard for me, because not only am I younger than Brooke and Paige, the lead in the dance, but somehow, by the end, I have to make it look like I did it better. Which is really, really, really hard.

"Silver spoons, rehearsal." we hear Gianna yell into Dancer's Den and soon, everyone bar Kenzie, who is no doubt practising her solo, comes in for the group dance.

"Come on girls, it really isn't that heavy! McKinna, the only reason you can do it is cause they taught you the technique on Broadway. I can't have only one girl doing it properly, girls, come on!" We keep rehearsing the routine, over and over and over until I think I'm about to explode. Or literally just fall asleep on the floor. While I'm used to dancing with all sorts of variations of props, the other girls don't really use them in their dances, except for Brooke sometimes.

Maddie, Mackenzie and I are so tired on the way home that mom just gets McDonalds delivered to home for dinner.

I'm almost too tired to enjoy it.

-Two Days to Competition-

After a long day of school, for most people, dance for like five hours would be their worst nightmare. For me, it was basically an escape. It meant not only did I get to do my passion, but it also meant I usually got to miss the last twenty minutes of my last class, which was also normally math, my least favorite.

"You seem to be really into this week's group dance, Kinna. Are you finding your old passion for ballet again?" Maddie looked over at me as we drove to the studio.

"Mads, you know it will always be contemporary for me, but yeah, my old love for ballet is rekindling." I say and then we joke around, doing random stuff and cheating in I Spy. Kenzie was already at the studio, having her solo practise and of course, I missed her, but it was nice to just have some alone time with Maddie, because I felt like I never got that with her.

Finally, though, we actually arrived at the studio, where I got changed into the black Abby Lee dance clothes and Maddie chose to wear some white booty shorts and a white Abby Lee top with the logo written in red. Kenzie had just finished up her solo practise with Miss Abby, but she had to go and practise with the mini group so I didn't get a chance to see her.

"Group dance girls, get in here." Miss Abby calls us all in and we stand in front of her, fidgeting. "This is a ballet routine, it is meant to be beautiful, stunning, gorgeous. Chloe and McKinna, you two are the ballet dancers of the group, I expect you two to be the leaders. Maddie, you are the other role model. Paige, Brooke and Nia, this is a different style for you but that is no excuse."

So, like when we first got the routine, we practised and practised until I honestly thought my arms were going to fall off from holding the huge prop so much. Until, in our fifth run, Nia dropped the giant spoon. The sound had clattered around the room and Miss Abby was so mad, she was as red as a ripe tomato. Honestly, I've never been so scared in a group routine before.

"Brooke, Paige and McKinna, let's do your trio practise. Maddie, Nia, go run your solos in Studio C, Chloe, go with them and give them feedback." So then, for about an hour and a half, the Hylands and I danced our heads off until I thought my head was about to fall off as well. Dance has never made me so dizzy before, but this routine does have a lot, a lot of turns and hair flips. "Girls, you're dismissed for now, but I want you to get, get your costumes, come back in and try them on for me."

Eagerly, the three of us set off to the front desk and collected the packages from my mom, who was helping Miss Abby and Gia out. The costumes were really fun, mine was a green sparkly one, Paige's was orange and Brooke's was pink. I had this green sparkle flower headband, Paige just had one single orange flower and Brooke had this pink net with fake diamonds on that she had attach to her bun. Then of course, just ballet flats matching each color of the dancer. It was a really fun look.

"Girls, come out and show me." Miss Abby told us, so we walked out. Kelly, Holly, mom and Christi were there and all of them nodded their heads in approval. These costumes are officially some of my favorites I've had for duets and trios. To be fair, the only costume I've never liked is the Electricity ones from season 1. "Alright, looks good, no complaints so we're all set. You three are all dismissed for the night."

Man, my bed has never been so comfortable.

-Competition Day-