Revenge of the Replacements

MackenzieMcKinna Chloe PaigeAlejandro Nia Maddie Kendall

Mackenzie
McKinna Chloe Paige
Alejandro Nia Maddie Kendall

"This week we have two solos, a duet and as always, the group dance. Our two soloists this week are Mackenzie and Chloe. Chloe, you have a contemporary routine entitled 'Haunted' and Mackenzie, you also have a contemporary solo called 'Dancing Barefoot'. Mackenzie, this is a more mature piece for you than normal, so expect to be challenged this week."

"Our duet is musical theatre and is based off Cinderella. McKinna, Alejandro, your routine is named 'Ten Minutes Ago'. It'll have lifts, some fun little moments and some signature iconic Cinderella aspects." Miss Abby tells us. Alejandro and I exchange a glance. I still haven't forgiven him yet, now I have to do a duet with him, and what is with Miss Abby giving us Disney themed duets? Like, hello?

Christi, Chloe's Mom

"So I'm listening to Abby and she gives Chloe a solo. Hallelujah. But then she gives Alejandro and McKinna a duet and immediately I already know where all her attention is going this week. However, she then goes and makes it a Cinderella duet. Cinderella is blonde, everyone knows that, so of course I think that Chloe or Paige should've gotten that duet."

"We've all already seen how amazing those two are together in a duet, so I think it is unfair that nobody else gets to do a dance with Alejandro except for Sophia, and even then, I've watched that routine and it wasn't close to the standard of 'Beauty and the Beast'."

"Our group dance this week is acrobatic, which means Brooke, you will obviously be the lead. Mackenzie and Alejandro, you are both in this routine, congratulations. It is entitled 'Arabian Nights' and this is going to challenge you more than you've ever known before. Now, moms you're dismissed."

"Wait. Christi, you told me Chloe has now got her standing back tuck?" Miss Abby halts the moms' path out the door. I know both Chloe and I have got our standing back tucks easily now, so Christi's answer surprises me.

"Yes, she does, but I'm not allowing her to be int he group dance especially since when you told Paige last time to do one, she broke her foot." Christi says. Honestly, sometimes I feel like the moms only disagree with Abby to cause drama.

"Chloe, do you feel confident in doing one?" Miss Abby asks her and immediately she shuts down. Poor Chlobird, she constantly has to choose between her mom, Miss Abby and dance. A meek no comes out of her mouth and I feel awful for her. "Alright then, you are not in the group dance."

The moms leave and poor Chloe looks devastated. At least on the bright side she can focus on her solo in order to make sure she wins. I'd feel terrible if she didn't.

We start warming up, where I practise my back tuck, chinstands and of course, my new favorite acro trick, a helicopter. It's really funny though, because Kenzie tried to do it and it looked so small because she's a lot younger than all of us. It was really cute. However, Jandro kept ruining the moment and trying to talk to me. 

I really like 'Arabian Nights'. Brooke is the lead and she is a really good one. However, Miss Abby has choreographed in this section where I have to do a ferriswheel lift with Alejandro. I'm not the lead in the group dance so I have no idea why I have to do the lift.

"McKinna, Alejandro, did I miss something? Three weeks ago, you guys had amazing chemistry and could dance your itty bitty hearts out together. Now I'm looking and I'm not impressed." Miss Abby scolds us and I look down at my feet. I guess I should really give Jandro another chance, he can't help that Antonio is controlling.

We try the lift again, this time better but still not right. I think it is because he doesn't know I've half forgiven him, but ya know. He can suffer a little bit longer... turns out even though I'm a Ravenclaw I have some Slytherin tendencies... hehe. 

"Clearly we need to work on some partnerwork later. Alright, everyone, five minute drink break, Alejandro and McKinna, we'll work on the duet first thing, anyone who doesn't want to watch, please go to Gianna's acro class in Studio B." Miss Abby tells us all and we all run into Dancer's Den, all this acro is making us all go crazy for water.

I sit between Mads and Chlobird, where my bag is and I'm about to join their conversation about the Rockette performance we went to over the holidays as Chloe's birthday present, when Jandro suddenly walks over to us and silence falls as the two stare from him to me, trying to figure out what is going on.

"Kinna, can you forgive me please?" Jandro kinda pouts, which looks a little weird on him, which makes me laugh, which makes the two sitting next to me think I'm a mean maniac while I'm clutching my stomach trying to control my laughter. Man, I cannot believe I held a grudge against this guy for so long. "What's so funny?"

"I'm sorry, you just look so silly pouting." my inner Ravenclaw sense tells me that I need to shut up and actually say I forgive him, so I do. "Sorry, sorry, I forgive you, it's okay." He beams and then I jump up realizing I was laughing for slightly too long because Miss Abby has begun to yell at us to get into Studio A.

"Bye you two lovebirds."

Chloe laughs and runs off when I send an evil glare her way. Eventually she turns back and joins Kenzie, Maddie, Brooke and Kendall to watch us learn the duet. I have no idea why Miss Abby wants everyone to watch us learn 'Ten Minutes Ago', but okay.

"Now, a three step turn, trust fall, a la seconde turn sequence, three split lift, then the bells ring and McKinna, you have to run offstage and try to kick one of your white tap shoes off, okay?" Miss Abby speeds through the choreography and I nod to it, though slightly dizzy and already forgotten the second half but Jandro sends me a wink, so somehow that means his clearly advanced brain is able to comprehend the mess of words.

We start with some basic warmups to help with lifts before starting to learn the choreography more properly, adding a few more Cinderella touches to routine, e.g her signature spin in the dance, but with a tap sequence straight after. So, like a more jazzy upbeat kinda number. I really like it! I think Cinderella would've too.

"It's all nice and clean, but McKinna, I want a little bit more of a surprised look on your face in some of those tap parts, 'cause you both have to pretend this is almost like an improv routine, it has too look that effortless. When they hear it is about Cinderella, they're going to think of the signature, swoon worthy, Disney routine. I expect you two to deliver. Alejandro, I want you to go home and work with your father on your end part, okay? Alright, Gia, can you run the costumes by Kinna, she has a better eye than me for those kind of things."

I could've nearly cheered in excitement! Not only did Miss Abby call me 'Kinna', which she hasn't done since the silent protest, but she also gave me a compliment and trusts my opinion on costumes. It might seem minor, to people who may think a dance teacher's opinion is so little, but for me, it's the world.

~

Soon after, I'm packing up to leave, having a chat with Jandro and Nia about the group dance, when I see Maddie and mom walk over towards me. Thinking we are going, I wave goodbye to the pair, which go their seperate ways not too long after (I think Nia might've had a singing lesson and Antonio probably wanted Jandro to go and work on the duet as if it was a solo), but mom steers off and Maddie keeps coming to me, oblivious.

"Ready to go, MK?" Maddog asks me and I give her a bewildered look at the nickname. I'm sorry, but 'MK', really? I shake my head, earning me a returned puzzled look.

"Mads, we have to wait for Kenz to finish her mini dance and mom isn't next to you anymore. Also, MK?" I sigh, turning my sister around so she can notice that mom is no longer beside her. "Come on, I think she's talking to Miss Abby, let's go eavesdrop!" She gives me a dissaproving look, to which I mouth 'goody-two-shoes' and she sends me an even more evil glare, despite following me without protest.

We hide behind the door, opening it ever so slightly, and see mom and Miss Abby avidly discussing, mom looking somewhat between determined and upset. God, I really hope the moms haven't done anything stupid again!

"I would really love for Maddie to prove to you that she can win."

"I know, Melissa, but you need to realize that-" Miss Abby starts, but mom interrupts and I can see how this is already going to end. Come on, mom, we were doing fine before your meddling.

"And, you know-"

"Melissa, she was just in a duet with Kendall, and even though she was better than Kendall and a lot stronger, she didn't blow me away either. Maybe if she got onto the same level as her sister, then she would be the one doing a duet with Alejandro, or maybe even the routine as a solo!" I blink. Miss Abby just, put me above my sister. For the first time ever. In the most horrible way possible, but for once, I was the favorite.

Is it bad that I'm so torn between glory and happiness and disgust and horror? All my life, I've worked hard for a position, but now I realize, maybe I shouldn't have tried so hard for that, but for my passion for dance. I don't like my sister being put down by my dance teacher.

"But Maddie is special and she wants to dance-"

"And your other daughters aren't? Pick your priorities, Melissa. I get it, but why are you the one telling me that? Why wouldn't a kid, with the potential to make it, to have a career in this business, not have her own integrity, her own ambition, to get out of the car and walk in here? I'm pretty sure her twin would've." Miss Abby raises her eyebrows and I can see my mom falter. For once, her favoritism for Maddie is being pointed out in headlights and there is nothing she can do about it. Though, I hope Mads gets a solo soon, I want to see her dance again.

"She wanted to come in-"

"I didn't even know!" Maddie angrily whispers, tears startng to form in her eyes. I get up from our spot and grab her arm, taking her to the car. 

Dance makes me happy, it makes Maddie happy, it makes Kenz happy, so why can't everybody happy? Why does mom have to ruin it? Why is Miss Abby so mean? Why do I like my stepfather more than my own father? 

-Competition Day-