Miami Heat Wave

MaddieBrooke ChloeMcKinna Nia Paige Mackenzie

Maddie
Brooke Chloe
McKinna Nia Paige Mackenzie

This week we are going to Miami for the American Dance Alliance competition there. Our group dance is musical theatre, Paige, Maddie and Chloe have a trio and Nia, Maddie, Chloe and I all have solos. Mine is entitled 'Set Fire to the Rain', and it is a contemporary routine. It kinda of covered my dissapointment about being on the bottom of the pyramid, but Miss Abby is already putting so much pressure on me to perfect it and I don't even know the choreography!

Basically, in her words, it was a reward for the photoshoot success from last time. Then she proceeded to say that because I'm out of practice, she expects me to be at the studio all week. No school at all. Which on one hand is great news but on the other hand it means that if I don't win, I'm cut. No more solos and bottom of the pyramid for the rest of the season.

"McKinna, come in, you need to learn your solo." Miss Abby yells from Studio A. Jumping up in excitement, I run out of the Dancer's Den and into the studio. "Now, I want you to tell me exactly how you felt about being on the bottom of the pyramid, McKinna." Confused, I looked around for any explanation of the question.

"I mean, I felt dissapointed." I supplied, putting up my guard. Expressing emotions isn't something easy to do for a nine-year-old.

"Upset?"

"Yeah, I guess, but I think that is how everyone feels when they are on the bottom of the pyramid."

"McKinna, you aren't getting the point. I need you to use that dissapointment, the frustration, that sadness from not getting what you should have. You and I both know you should've been on top of that pyramid."

"But, Miss Abby, even though I was dissapointed, I was still happy for my twin to be on top." I tell her.

"Then use that emotion to, McKinna. This dance is soulful, modern and needs emotion. When you dance this solo, I need you to feel the lyrics. I need you to feel as if someone told you that you won't dance again. That Maddie died. That you were never going to see that boy friend of yours." Miss Abby stares at me, and I'm slightly freaked out because it feels like she is looking into my soul.

~

"Alright, Kinna, you are done for today. I expect to see you at the studio tomorrow, 8am sharp. There are a lot of useful contemporary senior classes tomorrow, and Gianna has volunteered her break to help you." Miss Abby dismisses me.

"Thank you." I reply, feeling proud. My solo had really developed and I honestly think I was in love with the music. Everything was so beautiful about it. I'm still not over the fact I get to miss school for a week just to practise on my solo. Miss Abby must really, really, really care about this solo.

"Maddie, time for your private." I hear Gia say as I walk into the Dancer's Den. My twin walks out, giving me quick wave, and I sit next to Brooke and Kenzie.

"Hey Kenzie, I think I can hear James calling you to join the minis." Brooke tells my little sister, just as the shouting noise became clearer. Mackenzie quickly ran off, eager to see her friends. Originally, the producers weren't going to have her on the show, cause she is so young, but mom didn't think it was fair if Maddie and I got to be on it and Kenz didn't. In fact, until next season, or midway through this one, Kenzie is mainly dancing with the minis. "Wanna go spy on the moms?" Brooke jumps me out of my thoughts.

"Let's go!" I jump up, excited. Before the show, the moms actually rarely were in Dance Jail, and when they were, Brookie Cookie and I would spy on them. We haven't done it in ages, which is why I'm so excited.

Sneakily, we climbed the stairs as quietly as possible and crawled behind were the moms sat, the cameramen looking curiously at us. I'd prefer them to see then the moms.

"Melissa, this is unacceptable." Holly says, which makes me and Brooke look at each other confused. Mom hadn't done anything bad that I know of. "Education is a serious matter and letting McKinna miss a week of school for dance is not okay." I gasp, and then cover my mouth.

"Please, if Abby wanted Nia or Paige or Brooke or Chloe to miss school for the week to focus on their solo, to make sure it would be competition worthy, would you say no?" mom scoffs, hurt. 

"You know what, Melissa, just because you're daughter doesn't dance as well as mine, or Kelly's, or Holly's, doesn't mean it is okay to let her skip school!" Christi bursts out. This time, my gasp is so loud and full of pain, that all the moms turn around and see Brooke and I.

"Well, Christi, I haven't seen Chloe on Broadway or Nia or Paige or Brooke." mom says viciously as I run out of the room. "McKinna!" I dive inside of the girls' bathrooms and lock myself in a cubicle.

I guess it is true then.

I'm breaking the one ALDC rule I've kept my entire life.

In only season two.