Revenge of the Candy Apples

NO GIF FOR THIS CHAPTER

Nia
McKinna Chloe Maddie
Mackenzie Paige Brooke

"On the bottom of the pyramid, we have Brooke. Were you really in pain or did the other girls there get into your head? We'll never know. Paige, you have a broken foot but you can run the music and watch at least. Mackenzie, second. The first to lose. You should have won, you know better. Maddie, you were stunning in the group routine, but that was all there was to judge you on. You had the job on the Disney Channel, good job."

"Chloe, you looked good in the duet. But you are better than just 'good'. I expect more this week. Good job on the group dance. McKinna, you won with your solo, you beat Alejandro, who is technically perfect, you got the job on Drop Dead Diva, but you were worried about your friends' feelings when you were showing me the routine. You need to stop thinking about them and focus on you. Really, you should be on top, but I think someone else has earned a turn at top spot."

"Nia, congratulations. You shone in the group routine, you drew my eyes to you and I was impressed. Keep it up." Miss Abby finishes pyramid. Overall, second isn't horrible, but I felt like I should have been on top. Still, Nia definitely deserves a turn being the star so I'm not too upset. "This week we have the group dance, 'Taken' and it is contemporary. We have two solos and a duet. Chloe, you have a contemporary lyrical routine called 'Leave the Light On'. McKinna, a jazz routine entitled 'Material Girl'. However, you two will not be competing against each other. The junior section at this competition is ten to twelve, so Kinna, you will be competing in the petite category."

"Our duet this week is an acrobatic jazz routine with Kendall and Mackenzie named 'Reservation for Two'. It is cute and fun but I expect you both to take it seriously. Alright, moms you're dismissed."

"Abby, come on. Nia is on top of the pyramid and she doesn't even have an individual dance." Holly protested, but Miss Abby held her hand up and refused to listen. The moms can only be relentless for so long. I'm really excited for my solo, though, but I have absolutely no idea what a material girl is.

At all.

"Alright, McKinna, solo practise first." everyone else leaves and I have no idea, because I get solos pretty often, but I'm really excited for this one. "Do you know what a material girl is?" I shake my head because even though it sounds kinda cool, I have no clue.

"A material girl is a person who pursues a lifestyle of buying luxury items or seeking them as gifts from other people. This solo is all about luxury, so yup, you have two props this week. There are a few acro tricks, but all of them are weel within your capabilities. The challenge for you is to portray the character." Two props, I think to myself, that's a lot. Miss Abby loves to give me solos with props, but I wonder how I'm supposed to.

"You are going to have a big dark red couch and a japenese fan the exact same color." Miss Abby tells me. "This might be a jazz solo, but I want you to take it seriously, alright?" I nod my head.

The prop was one used from an old senior company solo from a senior ALDC student at the start of season 2, so I get to practise a lot with it, which is good, because I have to do front aerials off it and flips and I even have to do a handstand walk and a chinstand on it. So yeah, I am slightly nervous.

"Alright, Kinna, you're doing all the moves, you're nailing them, you're using your face and everything but I need sass. Drama. Hair flips and the moves to be quick and sharp. If you can get them technically perfect, you can get them snappy." Miss Abby tells me and I nod my head. It is hard enough to do the whole thing with a couch, but to add the japenese fan with it is really hard. So yeah, I'm nervous.

Some boys kiss me
Some boys hug me
I think they're ok

"Better with the sass and you didn't lose the precision, but it needs to be more snappy." Miss Abby comments. I nod my head. The part where I'm losing the snappiness is when I'm on the back of the couch doing a handstand and I have to swing back into a blackflip and wave the fan down. I'm struggling to stick the landing, so I keep missing a beat that needs to be snappy. I really hope I can nail this.