Stealing the Show

"Let's talk about Starbound competition, can we have a round of applause? Whoo-hoo!" Miss Abby tells us and we all clap, "Okay, Brooke, you blew them away, the people sitting around me were in awe when you did your handstand twist

"Let's talk about Starbound competition, can we have a round of applause? Whoo-hoo!" Miss Abby tells us and we all clap, "Okay, Brooke, you blew them away, the people sitting around me were in awe when you did your handstand twist. But why all the drama with the hip, hm? If you are seriously injured, you don't need to go to your mother and get everybody worked up, you come to me- and that needs to be clear, yes?" I nod my head, playing with the ends of my ponytail. The cameras were being really obvious today and I felt really uncomfortable. "I want to talk about this week's competition."

Brooke
McKinna Maddie Chloe
Nia Paige Mackenzie Vivi-Anne

"You see there is someone new on top. Yes, Brooke, you are here because of your performance. You worked through an injury, you did what you had to do, you were a team player. You are getting a solo this weekend, second row, you are also getting solos this weekend. The bottom row, what am I supposed to do with you four? You need to step it up, you need to get your butts right back into class and start working on your technique. And you know what, since we're gonna be in Pittsburgh this weekend, everyone is going to have a solo."

We all clap but I look at Nia. We really wanted to do our duet this week, but now everyone has a solo I doubt Miss Abby will let us perform.

"Miss Abby?" I raise my hand, "Nia and I have been working on a musical theatre duet for a week now and if you have time, we would love for you to see it. We're hoping we could maybe perform it this weekend?" Abby looks at me with raised eyebrows.

"McKinna, you have a solo this weekend, Nia, you have your first solo for the season and you both want to compete a duet as well?" we nodded, hoping this was going to go well. "See girls, this is the work ethic I like. Not only will McKinna and Nia be peforming solos, but they want to extend themselves even further by producing a duet. Girls, if I let this compete, you realize you have to win or no more solos or duets or trios for either of you till next season." We both gulped but nodded still. Holly gave us the biggest smile and mom stayed emotionless.

Maddie had her annual tap solo but she also had to do the Rag Doll routine. When she was learning the new tap solo, I looked up at the moms and saw Christi looking really upset. I don't think she liked that Maddie had two solos. The other girls all practised their solos and then Miss Abby called me up.

"Come on McKinna, you've had this solo for nearly three weeks now. There is an expectation for you to win. You've won with it before. But I expect more. If you don't get at least a near perfect score then no more solos for the rest of the season. Okay, Gia, start the music." I already knew the solo, my brain told me, I just have to perform it. So I did. I gave the corrections Miss Abby had yelled at me for years and tried really hard to give the best performance I could. Finally the song ends and as I stare at the mirror, my heart pounding, I hear Gianna and Abby clap. 

"Beautiful, McKinna, beautiful. No corrections at all today, you're dismissed." Smiling at her, I ran back into the Dancer's Den, where we all ordered McDonalds to be delivered. For once, there was no cameras around us, as they were with the moms on their dinner now my solo practise was over. Once it was delivered, we had a race to see who could eat a BigMac the fastest (it was Mackenzie) and then Brooke sculled her Coke. It was slightly messy but we managed to clean up before the moms returned and took us home.

I love my team.

-Three Days to Competition-

We were all sitting down in the Dancer's Den discussing our solos. Maddie loved both of hers and the two younger ones, Vivi and Kenzie, got to dress up as animals, a bee and a mouse. I told them about 'Cry' and how much I love it. Paige spoke about her routine 'Gemini' which was acro and gymnastics. Brooke and Nia were busy going over some of the group routines (all unaired) and Chloe was practising her solo. The moms were all quietly discussing things as we chatted loudly, till my mom left to watch Maddie. Paige asked me to braid her hair and then Mackenzie and Vivi-Anne were doing something.

"Did you know Maddie is doing two solos?" Christi turned to Kelly. Paige, Chloe and I rolled our eyes. As much as we loved our moms, they never stopped complaining. If Chloe had two solos then Christi wouldn't be complaining or if Paige or Brooke had two solos Kelly wouldn't be complaining. If I had two solos, they would both be complaining just like they're about Maddie's two. Apparently, mom said Maddie was doing two this weekend. Which was true but I don't see the problem. If Chloe, Paige or Brooke can't beat my sister even if she has two solos then that is their problem, even though I know Chloe and Paige have a total chance and Brooke is in a different age category.

Then Abby calls me and Nia into Studio A and I finish Paige's braid. 

"Now, as much as Gianna has told me this duet will be exceptional, I'm yet to see it." Miss Abby tells us, before pressing play on the music. Nia and I started and it felt good. We were working really well together and the duet just flowed. Then the music ended and we stood there in front of the mirror, Nia with a hand gun facing the audience and me with my hands in my hair looking frustrated looking at Nia. Abby smiled and clapped, giving us a few corrections, but I could tell she was very happy. We hugged each other before I went to the corner and ran the music for Nia's solo 'You Do', which will be in the specialty section. Then we swapped and I ran through 'Cry' where at the end Miss Abby wiped her eyes with her hankerchief before dismissing us.

-Two Days to Competition-

Today, the moms went absolutely crazy. According to them, Miss Abby was wasting her time on an acro class none of us were attending, Kelly didn't' have Paige's music, they were mad about Maddie and I's 'super top secret privates' ( they were literally listed on the schedule for this week ), they were upset we both had a solo that we already knew, they were mad that Maddie had two solos and Cathy didn't want to go on the bus.  The Dancer's Den was bustling with all the ALDC dancers instead of just us for once so Brooke, Maddie, Mackenzie and I were all doing some stretching and warm up activities in Dance Jail.

Then mom stormed down to Studio A, seething and telling Miss Abby something. She wasn't very good with coping with stress. 

After that, she grabbed Maddie, Mackenzie and I, telling us we were going home. 

Dance was over for today, I guess.

-Competition Day-

Today I decided to sit next to Mackenzie, as she was stressing out over her solo 'Kids Dance Pop'. Miss Abby does the role call and when she reaches Vivi-Anne's name, we all chorused that she wasn't here, laughing our heads off. Then the six hour long drive began and Kenzie and I start watching some old dance movies, cringing at some of the inprecise movements. Mom hands me a bag of chips and I give it to my little sibling, who is obsessed with chips. 

After what seemed like forever, we reached the competition and went to our dressing room. The solos were up first and I stretched comfortabley backstage in my costume. Maddie was first, then Mackenzie, then Vivi, who had finally arrived.

"Next up we have an advanced mini tap solo. Please welcome Maddie with 'A Capella'." the announcer tells the audience and Maddie walks out onto stage.

You've got big black boots
And legs up to there

Then it was Kenzie's turn and she walked out confidently as the announcer introduces her.

One chance to rule with words
Make a change, your voice is heard

We all cheer and clap, Kenzie did really well for her first solo for the season.

"Say hello to Vivi-Anne with 'Bumblebee'." Vivi walks out onto stage with a slight shake as she gets into her starting pose.

Tastes so sweet from her head to feet
No, that's something that can't beat

She slips on stage and I feel slightly sorry. I don't think she likes dance very much. She walks off stage and her mom greets her. Then it is my turn and I do the walk I've practised so much before getting into position.