New Girl in Town

McKinnaMaddie Chloe NiaMackenzie Brooke Paige

McKinna
Maddie Chloe Nia
Mackenzie Brooke Paige

We have three solos this week, two trios and the group dance. Chloe, Nia and Kenzie all have solos, which is super exciting, because (bar Chloe), the other two rarely get solos these days. To top off that excitement, I have a trio with Kenzie and Nia, entitled 'Time of My Life'. It is contemporary, which will be interesting 'cause Kenz rarely does contemporary dances, just jazzy acrobatic routines. I reckon it'll be good for her to get some more mature pieces. 

The other trio will be unaired, it is Brooke, Chloe and Maddie, it is also contempoary and it is called 'Writing All These Words'. Personally, I think Miss Abby has no doubt in her mind the other trio will win, but I know Nia, Mackenzie and I can win, especially if Kenz gets to have some of her cool tricks.

Lucky for us, of course, there is drama! That was sarcastic, by the way. A new girl is coming to the team called Nicaya and her mom's name is Kaya, but she prefers to be called 'Black Patsy' apparently so yeah, that is slightly awkward. She even wears it on a t-shirt, which is weird.

Nicaya isn't here today, but I'm hoping I'll like her. When Kendall joined our group of best friends, I kinda thought our girl group was complete, but then she left and on the inside, for me, she still isn't really a part of us. So maybe Nicaya will fill that gap. She has a pretty name, but none of us have seen her dance or met her before, so we are all a bit curious.

"Girls, you're in an asylum- you're insane, all you want is freedom, I need more subtle agression. Kendall, where is the anger, I need more emotion!" we stop the routine and I secretly roll my eyes. Miss Abby is being really dramatic and she needs to take a chill pill.

"You're all sniggering, you all think you are too good, well, let me tell you now girls, that here in the real world, no one knows who you are and no one gives a damn about you! So get over yourselves and work!" Miss Abby screams, which makes me cower in fear, ever so slightly. 

We keep running the routine, but it finally comes to me. Nicaya is a symbol to Kendall she can be replaced, so Miss Abby is hardcore focusing on her. I almost feel bad for her, but in a way, the darker side of me feels like she deserves it after betraying our team the way she did.

"I'm sick and tired of this, so Nia, Mackenzie and McKinna, we will run your trio." the other girls swarm out of the room, leaving us three behind and worried. "Contemporary, I want emotion, I expect a lot."

So yeah, than the music starts and we all look at each other really confused. Miss Abby hasn't taught us any choreography at all, so yeah, I'm slightly confused, but you know. Nia tries to get Gia's attention, while Kenz freezes and I just start doing 'This is Me Over You', 'cause that was the last contemporary routine I had.

"Girls, why is McKinna the only one dancing?" Miss Abby looks at the other two and I brace myself. Miss Abby doesn't sound very pleased. "If I want to, I could get any of you out and bring Nicaya or Maddie in, so don't think for one second you don't dance if music isn't playing."

Basically, until we all improv dance in sync for the entire song, Miss Abby refuses to teach us any choreography. I love dance, don't get me wrong, but this is kinda random, like, what does she want from us to get out of improv?

After we finally get some choreo, Chloe gets brought in for her solo while Gia works with Nia out the back in Studio C, while I kinda just chill until two of the elder girls, Nina and Auriel find me. I'm practising a trio with them as well to potentially do at Nationals, 'DNA', so I spend the rest of the evening working on that.

Maybe Nicaya will ease out some of the growing tension.

-Two Days to Competition-

I enter Dancer's Den, kinda sweaty, after a trio rehearsal with Nina and Auriel, to find all of the girls and the moms in there, which surprised me. The moms stick to Dance Jail and we normally stick to Dancer's Den, so it is kinda weird to see them in our 'territory' I guess.

"Hey, mom, I wonder if that girl's, Nicki, is coming in today?" Kendall commented, saying Nicaya's name wrong. I have no idea if it was intentional or not, or if the producers wanted her to say that for drama, 'cause Kendall is kinda portrayed as a sassy girl in the series when it comes to drama.

"If I had to make a guess, Kendall, I'd say uh-huh, one hundered percent." Jill told her daughter which made me mouth to Nia and Paige, my little Kendall. It is kinda a joke on the junior competition team about how much Jill loves Kendall and obsesses over her, but sometimes I do wonder what it would be like to have a mother that was constantly fussing over you.

"I still can't get over the fact she had that name on her shirt." Kelly told us all, disbelief evident in her eyes. The other moms nodded while we all just exchanged looks. Oh no, drama incoming.

"It said Black-"

"It said Black Patsy."

"I'm White Christi." Christi grins at us all, which makes us all laugh. Sometimes it is hard to get along with Christi, because she can be fiercely overprotective of herself and Chlobird sometimes.

"You're Black Holly." Kelly doubles over herself in laughter as she points at Holly, which sets us all off again. It's nice to have this kinda laughter again.

"Can you imagine, like, honestly, what is she talking about?" 

Holly asks us all and we all shake our heads, 'cause we don't know, but then we hear someone enter the building and we all fall silent. Less than a minute later, Nicaya and Kaya, sorry, Black Patsy, enter Dancer's Den and we all start stretching, trying to ignore the vivid tension that is going through the roof.

"What would you like the girl to call you, Nicaya?" Jill eventually asks the new girl, which makes eyes all around focus on the dancer, bar mine, because I want to focus on stretching. However, one of the producers catches my eye and I reluctantly turn my head to look at Nicaya.

"My nickname is Nini." she answers and a smile appears on my face. Not only does she have a pretty name, but she also has a pretty nickname, which has to mean she is nice.

"Oh, they call you Nini? That's pretty." I tell her before returning to my stretching, but then Kendall perks up and chuckles to herself. Oh no.

"I'll call you Laquifa from now on." she laughs and this time, my head moves itself. Why on earth would she call her Laquifa? I think my dear Kendall has been spending a bit too much time around the Crabby Apples.

"Laquifa."

"What?"

Awkward silence fills the air in the room once more, while I notice Nia hiding an upset look. Poor Nia, I can see why she would be upset. She has always been the one to have solos around Laquifa, or drag queens or have music from her, she even knows the death drop, so I don't think Kendall just got any bonus points in her book.

"Come on, girls. Let's go, let's go, let's go." Miss Abby comes into Dancer's Den and I lead the others out into Studio A. "Now, we started to learn the dance yesterday, but I want it finished by the end of the day and for Nicaya to know all the arrangements and etcetera. Nicaya- I have two trios and the contemporary one isn't how I want. If one of them isn't right for the job, you will be my first choice for stand in. Got it?"

Nicaya nods her head, while Kenzie, Nia and I all exchange uneasy glances. Why would Miss Abby say that? Mads also looks slightly put off, I guess she isn't used to having to fight for front and center with someone who isn't Chloe or me. 

Unfortunately, halfway through, Paige had to leave for a doctor's check up, to make sure she can dance in the routine at the competition. I hope she can, 'cause I think Miss Abby would be upset if she didn't. Hopefully she won't have the boot when she comes back.

Poor Paigey Mack.

-Competition Day-