Chapter 13 - The Deal

CHAPTER 13 – THE DEAL

A WEEK has passed and everything went back to the way it was before something happened between them. Their employer-employee relationship came back. She is now his ever efficient secretary again who follows his every command.

And he is no longer the sweet and caring bipolar Mateo but a cold and strict bipolar boss.

However, for the past week, she acted like nothing bad happened between them. She would still smile whenever he orders her. And also, she's been annoying him with her determination to prove to him that she is the father of her baby.

She would leave sticky notes to his table saying 'Good luck with work, daddy... (with a smiley)...or 'Have a nice day, daddy.' That seem to have annoyed him and he would always crumple in his hand and throws in a trash bin afterwards.

In which will set her in the brink of tears every time she sees it.

Nevertheless, it didn't crumble her determination.

"MS. GUTIEREZ, what's my schedule for the rest of the afternoon?" Mateo asks her all of a sudden while sipping the coffee she just gave him as he crumples another sticky note she attached to the coffee.

She watched how he tosses it somewhere. Tears threatened to escape from her eyes but she still smiled and tried not to break her voice as she reads his schedule.

"You have a meeting with Mr. Ricci at three regarding the partnership you're going to establish." She flipped some pages in her clip board to check for another appointment. "And you have a meeting with the board at four. That's all there is...sir."

"Alright..." He said closing his laptop before standing up and grabbing his coat from his swivel chair. "You can go back to your table now..."

She nodded her head.

"And by the way..."

"Yes?"

"Stop sending those stupid gifts and notes Ms. Gutierez... nothing's going to convince me... It's been annoying me." He said.

She bit her inner cheek. It's true that other than the sticky notes, she also sends him some baby things she buys to convince him about their baby like a pair of baby shoes she sent the other day, a baby shirt the other, other day and a pair of cute baby gloves. She would put it on his table every morning.

However, he would always take it and throws it aside. And at the end of the day, she would take them back.

"No..." She firmly said..."I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna stop convincing you...And I'm so sorry if it's annoying the hell out of you... Sir, but all I want is for you to recognize my baby as your child... just allow him to call you daddy, that's all..."

"And what would you get from all of this? Money? Marriage?"

Her eyes widen in disbelief... "None from those...sir... Just a simple father for my baby..." She whispered.

"And what if I am not the father of that baby?" She really badly wants to cry... Just how hard it is to prove it to him?

But if that will put him in relief...then... "Then I'll resign as your secretary and disappear from your life...forever." She strongly said.

She looked at his eyes and she thought she saw a glimpse of regret in those eyes...But she's probably imagining things again...

Too much assumption hurt a lot of people, and she doesn't want that.

"After I give birth, we could conduct a DNA test for you and the baby. If it's positive, you'll just need him to acknowledge as your son or daughter..." She took a deep breath before proceeding... "But if it turns out to be negative, I'll resign from the position as your secretary..." 'And from your life as well...'