Chapter 27 - The Results

CHAPTER 27 – THE RESULTS

"The result of the paternity test is..."

"Negative..." The officer said in a stern voice.

"WHAT!" All of the people in room except her and Mateo were shocked upon hearing what the officer said.

'Negative? That's impossible. There is definitely something wrong with the results.' Mia thought to herself.

She knows that the result isn't supposed to be that way, Mateo is definitely the father of the children and there is no doubt about that, but what would Mateo think?

Will he conclude to himself that his doubts are correct all along? Mia's too afraid to know.

She closed her eyes tight as she felt her heart inside her chest pound so hard. She carried Jack closer into her and buried her face into his small neck, searching for comfort and support. She is too scared to know what Mateo's reaction is. She badly wanted to take a glimpse of his reaction, but her fear of the possible reality is what's keeping her from doing so.

She started to become paranoid that everything would go back to the time when Mateo refused to believe that he was the father of her babies. She could already imagine him being furious and walking away. Or confronting her about who is the real father of the babies because of that false DNA result.

"How is that possible, sir?! It is already obvious that Mateo is the father of the babies. They look exactly like him." Aunt Luciana defended, she sounded angry and calm at the same time. Her heart was filled with warmth when she heard Aunt Luciana speak up for her kids.

"Yeah, the twins look exactly like Mateo, except for the eyes by the way, they got from me." Luke seconded with added boastfulness at the end.

"I'm sorry sir, but that's what the result says. The probability of the paternity is zero percent." The man with the DNA results said. "You are Mr. Dela Cruz, am I correct?"

"Yes I am." Mateo said in a cold monotonous tone which made Mia nervous even more.

Mateo was silent for a minute. But then, he suddenly spoke in a stern voice.

"Redo the test." He said.

Mia shot him a surprised look, her eyes widening a bit, confused of his suggestion.

"There is absolutely wrong with those results." He said. "Redo everything. Are you sure that those are our DNA's?" Mateo asked.

"Yes sir, Mrs. Dela Cruz personally sent the samples to the laboratory."

"Then why on earth is it negative?" Aunt Luciana asked almost furiously.

The officer swallowed his own breathe because he could probably feel the intense tension in the atmosphere with angry members of the family surrounding him. Mia almost felt sorry for him.

"I-I also have no idea m-ma'am, I am only interpreting the results, I am not the one who ran the tests." He said nervously.

Aunt Luciana's expression became even angrier as it is obvious in her slit eyes. "Then obey what my son said and redo everything! Or I will make sure that your laboratory...goes...down." She said in a warning tone.

"B-but ma'am---"

"No buts! Redo all of it because I know that they are my grandchildren!"

The officer swallowed his breath again and he wiped some of the sweat that was already forming on his forehead with his white handkerchief. He was clearly nervous as a deer being hunted from the forest.