Chapter 31 - The Surprise

CHAPTER 31 – THE SURPRISE

THE JEWELLERY shop has only three floors, Viane told her who likes to visit the shop. She discovered that Viane once designed custom jewellery for the shop. But that was only once, according to her.

Viane is a literature professor in a university who also has a given talent in designing. She knows the owner of the shop so there's no wonder that she can immediately enter the other floor of the shop without any permission.

They reached the third floor and stepped outside the elevator. She pushed the stroller with the sleeping twins. The elevator ride earlier must've lulled them to sleep.

"This is the floor where they sell their most expensive jewelleries. Mateo is a billionaire, so he's probably here."

Viane roamed her head around the place while she looked around. The shop smelled luxurious. Obviously expensive trinkets are securely displayed on seemingly unbreakable glasses. The lighting is different from the lobby. The light coming from the glass chandelier above them reflects the jewelleries in the glass cases adding to them.

She immediately felt out of place.

"Look, there's Mateo...and the woman." She said the last words bitterly which made her chuckle.

"Come on let's go." Viane urged and she followed her.

They were nearing where Mateo and Sydney are. Then she grabbed Viane's arm and hides in one of the huge cylindrical posts. "This is probably near enough."

"Alright, if you say so." Viane said and just followed her to hide behind the post. "But we are not gonna be able to hear them though."

"That's fine."

They watched the two closely. Mateo is talking with the saleslady, then the saleslady told them something and pulled out one of the cases which hold what seems to be like an engagement ring.

Viane gasped. "Is that for you?" Then she looked at her.

Mia felt her cheeks heat up. She is not sure... Is it for her? Her heart wanted to assume. But then, she felt her heart sank when Mateo gave Sydney the ring and Sydney wore it to herself.

"What on earth?!" Viane suddenly exclaims in an unexpectedly loud voice, startling the sleeping twins, and their cries echoed the entire store.

All of the people in the store looked towards their direction and Mia immediately wanted to hide somewhere, but she had to take care of her crying babies.

"Oh my... I'm so sorry Mia, I didn't mean to startle them. Oh my gosh, I'm really sorry." Viane sounded really guilty.

"Hey Viane, it's okay. You were just surprised, so was I. Besides, the twins are easy to talk to. You can easily ask them to stop crying. Watch..."

Mia cooed Jack and Daniel and the twins immediately settled in a few seconds.

"See."

Viane, who still seems guilty, sighed in relief. The people in the shop also went back to their own businesses.

"Thank goodness. I'm so sorry again Mia. I was just---"

"Mia? What are you doing here?"

She straightened her back upon hearing Mateo's voice behind her. She was so busy hushing the babies that he didn't notice Mateo walking towards them.

"Uhh...Uhm... Hi?" She awkwardly said not sure what excuse she is going to say on why she's tailing them.

"You!" Viane suddenly spats in front of Mateo which startle the both of them.