Chapter 15 - The Trip To Barcelona

CHAPTER 15 – THE TRIP TO BARCELONA

"MRS. DELA Cruz? It's nice to talk to you again. How may I help you today?" She greeted the lady enthusiastically.

"By attending my anniversary party with my husband mi hija." She said in her Spanish accent. "And how many times do I have to remind you to call me Aunt Luciana...Dear, you have been declining my invitation for years now, just because my son is declining too..." The lady on the other line sighed. "I know you really love your job, but I am hoping that you could come this year." She sounded really hopeful.

"Maam---."

"Mi hija, it's Aunt...I'm gonna be really upset if you will not attend. Consider this as your gift to me...por favour?"

She sighed. She could imagine Mrs. Dela Cruz batting her eyelashes on the other line. And it's really funny how she sounded like Mateo when he truly wants something. Looks like all this pleading is convincing her.

The Dela Cruz couple has been very kind to her ever since she started working for Mateo. Especially Mrs. Dela Cruz who's been treating her like a real daughter. Sometimes Mateo's mom would pour more attention to her than Mateo but not to the point where Mateo would get jealous. As if he would ever get jealous. Mrs. Dela Cruz is just a really generous and kind person who she treats as a family.

So she doesn't really have the heart to refuse the kind woman's invitation.

"All right Aunt Luciana, I'll go." She said with finality.

"Perfecta! I'll tell Mateo to arrange the private plane for you. I'm so excited... Nos vemos (see you), mi hija... Have a safe trip! Bye."

"Bye Aunt Luciana." She said before the other line hung up.

She returned her phone to pocket and went back to the office just in case Mateo needs something. But when she opened the door, the sight she saw squeezed her: Sydney kissing Mateo before bidding him goodbye.

She stood there frozen until Sydney passed by her.

"Oh...I think I'll see you in the Barcelona then... Ms. Gutierez." The lady said before turning her back at her.

"Ok then..." She said shrugging.

THE TRIP to Barcelona was thrilling for Mia since it was her first time in Spain. Of course, she has travelled some other places due to Mateo's business trips. But it was her first visiting his birthplace.

She knows that she agreed to go to the party of Mateo's parents. And whenever there's a party, everyone who is invited needs to find a good outfit to fit in the crowd. Especially in parties hosted by people in high society.

That's why she needs to go with Mateo to get a dress for the party.

And that is why she is with Mateo and Sydney shopping in every boutique of a very famous mall in Barcelona that sells things that costs almost the same as her salary. And she would always cringe whenever she sees the exaggerated tag prices.

Her feet are already swollen from all the walking and she badly wants to sit. Carrying a watermelon like tummy is no joke. She wanted to tell Mateo to excuse herself, but she is too hesitant to call for his attention as he was also busy judging the designer dresses Sydney's been picking for herself.

She sighed as she continuously waits for them to finish.

"What about you Mia? Have you found a dress to wear for the party?" Sydney asks her raising an eyebrow.

"It's fine, I'm going to wear one of the dresses that I've worn before during Mateo's business parties." She said. 'I can't possibly afford any of these anyway.' "Besides, Mrs. Dela Cruz didn't say any theme about the dress, as long as it's a long gown and formal."