Chapter 3

Genevieve got out of bed on Saturday absolutely thrilled today was supposedly the day they were going to Diagon Alley, Professor Fig had spent the rest of the week mostly focusing on giving her a basic theoretical understanding of each subject.

They'd not done very many more spells as despite the fact that apparently, she'd done exceptionally well with the borrowed wand Fig figured it would simply be more beneficial to wait till she had one of her own and could reach her full potential.

Consequently, she all but bounded down the stairs eager to get a taste of what the rest of the wizarding world was like. As usual Professor Fig was reading the Daily Prophet.

"Excited for today?" asked Fig with a smile.

"Yes, I am," admitted Genevieve as she helped herself to breakfast. Before Professor Fig could reply their conversation as interrupted by an OWL of all things flying in through the open kitchen window. Genevieve let out a yelp and dropped her plate causing it to smash.

Professor Fig however, seemed utterly unperturbed as the owl landed and stuck out its leg revealing a letter attached.

"What on Earth?" asked Genevieve. Professor Fig looked up and chuckled.

"Oh, I apologize how silly of me. Wizards use owl post to communicate. This is Archimedes. He's quite friendly." Fig gestured for her to come closer and after a moment Genevieve tentatively approached the creature. Ever so slowly she reached out to stroke the brown plumage of the eagle owl as Professor Fig did.

"It's strange how different things are between muggles and wizards, even simple things like mail are done completely differently."

"They are indeed to very different worlds," agreed Fig.

"I think the wizarding one is far more wonderous." Said Genevieve.

"I imagine it does appear that way," replied Professor Fig and they shared a smile.

HL

They apparated to London. Genevieve wasn't sure if she'd ever get used to the feeling. Maybe it felt better if you were the one doing it rather than simply tagging along. At least she'd managed to maintain a fairly dignified form this time.

They stepped out of the alley way they'd apparated into and after walking for a little bit came to stop in front of a building with a sign that read "The Leaky Cauldron." Under it hung the image of a witch standing over a cauldron with a leak in it.

What caught Genevieve's eye though was the way that all the muggles around them seemed to walk right past as if unaware of the inn.

"They can't see it can they?" she asked after a moment and looked up to see Professor Fig looking at her with something akin to pride.

"Very good. Indeed, they cannot. As is the case with many wizarding buildings it's charmed so as not to be noticed by the non-magical." They stepped inside and found the inn to be bustling with customers seated around the many tables.

"Hello Eleazar," called a bearded man from the bar.

"Good day Harry," said Professor Fig.

"Out to do some shopping? Haven't seen you around lately," asked Harry.

"Just escorting a new student." Said Professor Fig. The man grew serious.

"I was sorry to hear about Miriam."

Genevieve noticed the shadow that passed across her mentor's face at the mention of his wife especially as the man plowed on.

"Any news about what caused..." In an attempt to help draw him away from the uncomfortable subject she interrupted Harry.