Chapter 16

Genevieve was once again exhausted the next morning. Especially since she had an early class. The one bright spot was that said class was Magical Theory. This was enough to give her a boost of energy that stopped her from falling face first into her oatmeal.

It seemed extracurricular classes were placed early in the morning so as not to interfere with the normal schedule of the day. Genevieve was truly quite excited to see her mentor in action in his own class.

Evelyn too appeared to be in the same boat of exhaustion. Genevieve was immensely grateful to the girl, though she couldn't actually tell her, for her save the previous night.

She and Evelyn, today accompanied by Amit and Samantha made their way to the Magical Theory classroom.

Stepping inside Genevieve looked around and saw a few familiar faces including Adelaide, Poppy, Ominis, and Sebastian. Evelyn and Genevieve took seats at the desk next to Ominis and Sebastian's with Poppy and Adelaide behind them. Sebastian appeared to have been getting a scolding from his seatmate.

"Good morning," said Genevieve. Ominis tilted his head in her direction.

"Good morning. Ready for your first Magical Theory class? Although I suppose you have a head start given your private lessons with Fig."

"We did discuss it a fair bit but I'm still eager to see him in a group setting." Replied Genevieve glancing around she saw there were only about fifteen people, excluding herself, in the class as opposed to the usual 25-30 that normally filled the rooms.

"It's a small class."

"As well liked as Professor Fig is this is a specialized subject," chimed in Adelaide from behind.

"We started with 20 but we've lost five since third year," said Evelyn.

"People drop it?" asked Genevieve.

"Not because of Fig mind you usually outside commitments," said Sebastian. "Imelda left in fourth year due to needing more time for Quidditch practice."

"Constance Davies departed as her schedule couldn't hold this and all the courses, she needs to become a healer at St Mungo's," Amit listed off.

"Alexander Delacour transferred to Beauxbatons due to his parent's job," said Poppy.

"My sister is temporarily out due to her illness," said Sebastian looking a little mournful.

"And Leander Prewett technically dropped the course, but we all know he was pretty much kicked out." Added Evelyn.

"Why?" Genevieve queried having a hard time imagining her mentor kicking someone out of a class.

"He got in an argument in class with Nellie Oggspire and called her a stupid mudblood," said Ominis his voice dripping with distain. Genevieve had no idea what a mudblood was but guessed it must be a terrible insult.

"I've never seen Uncle El look so furious. Nobody knows the exact details but the going rumor is that they tried to make him apologize but he refused saying he'd rather quit then go back on what he said even if it got him a month's detentions."

"And he was a made a prefect the next year," snorted Adelaide.

"You know Black, the man's a blood supremacist. He might not be as bad as some who actively treat muggleborns like dirt but he certainly looks the other way regarding their wellbeing and Prewett is a pureblood." Scoffed Ominis.

"So that's why you all dislike Leander?" asked Genevieve.

"It's certainly one of the main reasons many of us dislike him yes. At least those of us that think the whole blood purity thing is bunk." Evelyn said. "As for the headmaster it's like Ominis said, he plays favorites based on blood status. I doubt he can bother remembering a name if it doesn't have a pureblood relation."