Chapter 4

Now that Genevieve had a wand of her own, they could get started with some proper practical casting.

The first thing Fig decided to teach her after Lumos and Knox, was the Basic Cast. Defensive spell work was important and she'd expressed an interested in that area.

They stood in Eleazar's garden Genevieve pointing her wand towards a target he'd created.

"Now the Basic Cast is actually the only non-verbal spell one might consider simple and that all wizards regardless of ability can do. Really all you need to imagine is the blast coming from your wand and meeting your target.

He raised his own and shot a jet of red light at the target it connected leaving a small black mark.

"Now you try."

Genevieve raised her wand pointing it. She successfully fired the spell however her aim was a bit off instead of hitting the target it hit a metal decoration rebounding off it. Both she and Eleazar ducked as it flew over their heads and smashed a particularly hideous looking vase. Genevieve turned to him fear and guilt in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Professor!" Eleazar brushed it off with a chuckle.

"Miriam always hated that vase. It was a wedding gift from her least favorite uncle. It seems it's finally been put to good use." Genevieve smiled at him tentatively clearly assured she wasn't in trouble.

"Sooo....points for my aim after all?" the slightly mischievous tone in which she said it caused Fig to begin laughing. Genevieve soon joined him, and it took a few minutes for them to calm down. It occurred to Fig this was the first time he'd truly heard the young girl freely laugh. Not the nervous giggle from previous occasions but an unencumbered expression of joy. It was a merry sound. He also noted that for the first-time mentioning Miriam hadn't felt painful.

"Yes, 5 points for your future house," he said with a smile when they had finally ceased their mirth.

They tried again and this time Genevieve hit the target. Eleazar had her repeat the exercise several times so she would get used to it.

"A basic cast can be useful even in the most difficult of situations. It deals damage, can buy you time, and takes limited energy unlike some more powerful spells." He explained.

"I thought you said you hoped I wouldn't be getting into any duels anytime soon?" said Genevieve with a slight smile. Another thing he'd noticed was that she had begun to show a bit of a cheeky side. Less afraid to engage in banter with him which he hoped was a sign she was starting to grow out of her fear that any infraction would lead to punishment.

"I would not have you seeking them. Nor do I see much cause for you to end up in them outside of Defense Against the Dark Arts class. However, it never hurts for one to be prepared. Life can always take an unexpected turn."

"That's true. I certainly never imagined I would leave that...I mean I never imagined I'd find out I was a witch." The slip did not escape Eleazar however he chose not to ruin the mood by commenting.

HL

Genevieve balked at the way she'd almost let slip about her time at the orphanage. Trying to shift matters away she said.

"So, how would you block it then?" asked.

"That would be the shield charm Protego and for this I'm going to ask you be a bit careful as the spell will bounce back." Professor Fig told her taking a stance across from her.

"Cast the basic cast at me." He said. Genevieve gave him an uncertain look. The idea of sending even a basic cast at her professor didn't sit well. Fig shot her a relaxed smile.