Chapter 10

Genevieve awoke the next morning feeling the sun shine in on the room. As she blinked the sleep from her eyes the previous day's events all came back. The dragon, Gringotts, Ancient Magic, being sorted into Ravenclaw.

She sat up to see Evelyn smiling at her already dressed in a uniform identical to Genevieve's aside from a badge with a large P attached to the girl's chest.

"Well, I was wondering if I was going to have to wake you up. We've got two hours before classes start."

"Why are you still here then?" asked Genevieve trying not to sound rude. Evelyn smiled.

"You are new, so I figured I'd help show you down to breakfast. It's easy to get lost here. Also, I thought I ought to warn you."

She paused before sitting down on the edge of the bed and pulling out a newspaper with the title.

MAD DRAGON ATTACKS CARRIAGE! MINISTRY EMPLOYEE DEAD!

Genevieve scanned the article the gist of it being that Professor Eleazar Fig had been travelling with a Hogwarts student as well as Ministry employee George Osric when it was attacked. Luckily (and mysteriously) the paper added, the two Hogwartians had survived but Osric was not so lucky.

Genevieve didn't need to read the rest.

"I presume that would be how you lost your luggage," said Evelyn after a moment.

"Yes, it was. Though I'd say the loss of Mr. Osric was a mite more important."

"That must have been horrid. No wonder you didn't want to discuss it." Said Evelyn sympathetically.

"How many people know?" asked Genevieve.

"Basically, the entire school. News travels faster than fiendfyre here." Evelyn told her bluntly.

"Great." Muttered Genevieve. So much for blending in.

"But that's what I'm here for. I can help deal with any gawkers in the common room while you get a tour and if anyone gives you guff at breakfast, I'll just threaten to take points."

"You can do that?" asked Genevieve.

"Prefect privileges," smirked Evelyn pointing to her badge.

"Isn't that abuse of power?" asked Genevieve.

"Eh, I prefer to think of it as defense of the innocent. Now get dressed and I'll meet you outside." The blond then stood up and left the room.

Genevieve blinked shocked at the ready way in which this girl had offered both her friendship and protection. It was like she'd entered a world that was completely upside down from what she knew. A part of her felt she should stay suspicious for now. Who was to say Evelyn wasn't pulling a prank on her in some form?

Genevieve began to change and came to the decision that she would accept Evelyn's offer of companionship but remain wary for now. At least until she'd become better acquainted with the girl.

After dressing a thought suddenly hit Genevieve. She didn't have any books! She was about to panic when she suddenly noticed a satchel with a note on top. The note had her name written in familiar slanted script.

Genevieve,

It came to my realization that after yesterday's events you would be lacking some of the necessary materials for class. I was able to get some spare copies of the course books and have asked Professor Weasley to send you to Hogsmeade in the next day or so to get some new things."

Best of Luck,

Professor Fig

Looking inside Genevieve noted that there were several books, some parchment, quill, and ink. Supposedly everything she'd need to get by for now.