Chapter 12

Evelyn approached and began to lead Genevieve away and out of the classroom.

"So did he invite you to join the dueling club?"

"Yes. He seemed to think I'd be a good fit," said Genevieve guessing now that this was the "you know what" Evelyn and Sebastian had been referring to.

"I'll say. Sebastian's the best male duelist in the year and you trounced him." Genevieve smiled slightly.

"And who is the best female duelist?" Evelyn bowed.

"Yours truly. Though I may have to step up my game. You'll give me a run for my money."

"What's a prefect doing in an illegal dueling club?"

"Don't ask me I wasn't the one mental enough to make me a prefect," scoffed the blonde slipping her arm through Genevieve's.

"Do you think I should do it? I don't want to get in trouble."

"I'd say why not you only live once and they'd have to put half the school in detention if they wanted to break up our club. And that's if they knew about it. Besides who's going to report you your house prefect?"

This actually had Genevieve laughing.

"So, are you friends with Ominis and Sebastian?" she asked. Evelyn shrugged.

"Ominis is in my muggle studies class and we're friendly enough, but we've never really interacted much outside classes. Sebastian, I know a bit better from our little dueling club but it's more of each of us trying to blast the other to pieces than a friendship."

"I see." Said Genevieve. They headed though the halls down to the Clock Tower courtyard which had a huge pendulum swinging in it. Genevieve once again admired the architecture of the place.

Over in the corner was a short dark-haired Gryffindor.

"That's Lucan. He's a third year and just took over running the club from his brother," explained Evelyn. "Sweet kid and quite smart. Just name drop Sebastian and I and you should be fine. Any trouble you can call me over."

"Can I help you?" the boy asked.

"Sebastian and Evelyn told me to see you about a club."

"If those two vouch for you that's all I need to know," said the boy brightly.

"I coordinate duels for Crossed Wands a dueling club of sorts. It's invitation only. You must have impressed them. Sebastian in particular."

"I'm flattered to hear it. Sebastian's a good duelist. Although I reportedly took him down a peg according to Evelyn."

"Ah yes, those two have quite the little rivalry going in here," chuckled Lucan. "Since first year supposedly."

"So how does Crossed Wands work?" asked Evelyn.

"You show up. I match you with other duelists, and whoever is still standing at the end wins. It's our way of determining the school's greatest duelists once and for all. People get points based on the number of duelists they face and how many are in their group. So, for instance if you face three on your own you get three points take on the same number in an equal match each person on the team gets one. At the end of the year, we tally up everyone's points to see who comes out on top."

"Any rules I should know about?" asked Genevieve.

"The only thing off limits here is fire spells. Mostly because we need to be able to claim any injuries are just accidents and because they are the most unpredictable in terms of control. Oh, and winner of the tournament gets a prize. So, are you interested?" Genevieve smiled.