Chapter 34

Late March hit and Genevieve, Fig, and Hecat decided to make another trip to the Map Chamber. They'd worked more on her ancient magic skills and her consistency of summoning the ancient magic was increasing as was how much she could do repeatedly. It seemed the more she practiced the more stamina she built up. That said how lethal her blows were, was still a bit less predictable. They'd not had a basis of comparison but Fig speculated it would become more erratic if she were trying to summon it without a clear head.

"You know thank Merlin I have you two because this lot have been utterly useless," said Genevieve as they made their way through the hall that led to the Map Chamber.

"Yes, for guides they haven't really done much guiding," agreed Professor Hecat.

"More like played throw the underaged witch into unnecessary danger," she heard Fig mutter.

"Like I said. I'm lucky," said Genevieve with a small smile.

"Well, I'm always pleased to help my eagles soar to new heights," said Hecat with a small smile.

"And I wouldn't think of letting you face more of this alone than necessary," added Fig looking at her with a warm gaze that made her feel oddly cared for. Apparently she must have looked pensive because Fig added.

"What is it?" Not wanting to delve into those particular feelings at the moment Genevieve shook her head.

"Oh I was just thinking about what to do if the Keepers decide to be stubborn and refuse to let us move forward."

"Oh?" asked Professor Hecat.

"Well you know that spell you taught me that you said ONLY to use on enemies? I was thinking the severing charm would work quite well on canvas," she smirked and Hecat shot her a grin.

"That it would my eagle." Professor Fig gave an exaggerated sigh though she noticed he too had a slight smile.

"Dinah you are a terrible influence."

"And that's why she's my second favorite teacher," said Genevieve cheerfully leading all three to laugh however their mirth ended just outside the Map Room.

When they entered, they found the Keepers deep in discussion. So much so they didn't seem to notice their entrance at first.

"She's more powerful and skilled than expected," said Fitzgerald in a neutral tone.

"It's her tutors we didn't plan for her to have so many involved, she was meant to do this alone," replied Charles.

"We've got to be careful not to push her away she's far too attached to the old man. He could easily sway her to..." Rackham broke off suddenly noticing them. If Genevieve hadn't already mistrusted the lot of them this would have been enough to do the trick.

It was clear Hecat was right and they'd wanted to be the sole ones to influence her perspective. She didn't like the idea of someone trying to manipulate her and the insult to Professor Fig was enough to make her blood boil.

"Ah my ch.." she interrupted Rackham before he could finish the false term of endearment. Nobody called her my child but Professor Fig.

"Just Miss Smith will do Professor." Rackham looked taken aback but then schooled his features.

"We were wondering about the progress on the next trial. Things are getting worse by the day," said Professor Hecat.

"Yes, the goblins are attack hamlets around the valley. Innocent lives are at risk," said Professor Fig.

"Your timing is excellent," said Fitzgerald. "I've finally been able to ready my trial. As you know it is in Professor Black's office, so I presume that you have a way of getting in?"