Chapter 18

Genevieve steadily avoided Ominis to the best of her ability. She felt far better after her talk with Poppy but still upset. When prodded by Evelyn about her low mood she mentioned the argument and promptly had to talk her friend out of hunting down Ominis. She didn't need her best friend committing murder on her behalf touching as it was.

She stuck with her other friends in their joint classes and dashed out of History of Magic the moment it ended refusing to engage in conversation with the boy despite numerous attempts on his part to get her attention.

Three weeks after the Undercroft incident, she did at least get some good news in the mail in the form of a letter from Professor Fig. He'd written her once a week since his departure. Each letter was fairly simple mostly assuring her of his wellbeing and wishing her well at school. This one however had better news than usual stating that his business should be completed by the end of the following week.

Genevieve figured this would be good news for the Magical theory classes. Professor Weasley had been covering them but while she had a good understanding of the subject, she lacked the immense enthusiasm and penchant for getting discussions going that Professor Fig had.

She was halfway to History of Magic when Sebastian caught her. Fortunately, not accompanied by Ominis.

"Hey Veevee. Can we talk?"

"I suppose," said Genevieve who still felt slightly annoyed with him.

"Look I know Ominis acted like an arse but please next time he tries to talk to you, hear him out. He made a mistake and it was my fault for causing the issue. At least let the bloke apologize believe me when I say he's genuinely sorry."

Genevieve felt conflicted. On the one had she was hurt by Ominis on the other if Sebastian said he was genuine then she supposed she might as well let him apologize if nothing else.

"I'll think on it," she said before heading to class.

She was so distracted by the mental tug of war going on in her head that she failed to jump up fast enough after History of Magic and as she moved Ominis caught her wrist.

"Genevieve please!"

"Going to shout at me some more?" she asked tersely.

"I want to apologize properly. But you keep running off. Understandably so." She wanted to move away but he had yet to release her wrist.

"Please just give me a chance to talk and then if you don't want to speak again, I promise I won't push."

"Have we got a problem here?" came Evelyn's cool voice. Ominis dropped her wrist but looked hopefully at her.

"I have to complete an assignment for Hecat after classes today."

"Then come find me after in...the place. I'll be waiting." Said Ominis before walking away.

"You know as annoyed as I am with him, I do hope you can patch things up," said Evelyn.

"I thought you wanted to hex the living daylights out of him," said Genevieve.

"I did but you've been so gloomy since the fight its clear repairing the relationship is going to work better than trying to cut it off." Replied Evelyn with a shrug. Genevieve wasn't entirely sure what to make of this analysis and so said nothing.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was as enjoyable as ever and once class was completed, she headed towards the Clocktower Courtyard to complete Professor Hecat's next assignment which was about learning to dodge and roll away from casts.

None of her usual friends were present at the moment so she ended up facing two on one. It was admittedly trickier but eventually she triumphed. Heading back to the DADA tower she found her professor waiting.