Chapter 23

True to her word Genevieve immediately filled Professor Fig in on what had occurred he seemed quite relieved at how tame things had gone and they agreed to meet in front of the forbidden forest the following day.

Genevieve next headed to the room of requirement where she stacked up on wiggenwelds and even a few edurus potions. They didn't know what they would be needing.

Once she felt she was about as prepared as she was going to get Genevieve decided to get dinner and head to bed early. Fig had advised her that it would be wise to be rested up for the following day. As she headed to bed her greatest hope was that nothing would happen to Professor Fig.

Despite agreeing to bring him the idea of him, not that he'd likely have left her with much of a choice, joining her in this dangerous mission scared her. She'd been wrong. The worst thing wouldn't be to disappoint Professor Fig. It would be to lose him.

HL

The following day as she prepared to head off Genevieve was met by Ominis.

"It's still a no," she said and Ominis chuckled.

"I know that, Genevieve. But I wasn't about to let you go off without wishing you luck."

"Nor was I," said Evelyn striding up behind her. She had something clutched in her hand when she held it out Genevieve realized it was a pair of gloves. "They're my dueling gloves enchanted to enhance the potency of your defensive spells."

"Thank you," said Genevieve softly slipping on the gloves. Evelyn smiled tightly.

"They're just a loan mind you, so I expect you to come back and return them in good condition."

"I'll do my best. And I'll have Professor Fig with me," Genevieve reminded them. Evelyn pulled Genevieve into a hug.

"You and Uncle El look after yourselves." Genevieve returned the embrace and then turned to Ominis.

"Please be careful Genny," he reached out and she grasped his hands giving them a reassuring squeeze.

"I will." Genevieve wasn't sure what else she could say. Careful was the best one could be in this situation. A promise to come back...well that wasn't really a certainty she could give.

"I'll hold you to that," replied Ominis with a slight smile that Genevieve returned. Then with a final glance at her friends she left flooing to the entrance of the Forbidden Forest.

HL

Ominis listened as Genevieve's footsteps grew dimmer concern filling him. He jumped when he felt a hand on his arm.

"She'll be alright," said Evelyn from next to him though she didn't sound wholly confident.

"I hope so," he replied Genevieve was a competent witch but who knew what obstacles were in her way? She'd only joined the magical world mere months ago. What if they were things beyond her capabilities?

"Uncle El will take care of her," Evelyn continued.

"Who are you trying to reassure? Me or yourself?" questioned Ominis.

"I don't know. But panicking won't do any good," the Ravenclaw girl sighed. Ominis knew she was right not that it helped much.

"What do you suggest?"

"Wait it out and pretend writing 20 inches on ashwinder eggs is distracting enough to forget our friend is in danger?" Evelyn's tone clearly indicated she knew this wasn't actually going to do much. Ominis sighed.

"Well I suppose pacing a hole in the floor would be too conspicuous." Evelyn scoffed.

"Perhaps just a little."