Chapter 22

Genevieve and Evelyn were still trying to solve the secret of the page they'd found in the Owlery. Unfortunately for them, as predicted Anne was a common name so they had almost nothing to go on.

She was sitting with Ominis and Evelyn in the library one Friday afternoon working on potions homework when Poppy came up to her.

"Genevieve."

"Oh hello Poppy," she said smiling at the Hufflepuff. "Have you met Evelyn and Ominis?"

"Only in passing," Ominis tilted his head in her direction.

"Pleasure to meet you Poppy."

"And you."

"Any friend of Gen's is welcome," said Evelyn with a smile.

"What is it?" Genevieve asked.

"There's a portrait in our common room that wants to speak with you he's waiting in a back corner of the library if you're willing to come." Genevieve was puzzled and glanced at her two other friends.

"Why in Merlin's name would a portrait want to speak with you?" said Ominis.

"I haven't the foggiest," replied Genevieve.

"Well let's go find out. It'll be more interesting than writing about the properties of moonstone and their uses in potion making." Said Evelyn. The three stood and followed Poppy over to a slightly deserted corner of the library.

Waiting sharing a frame with a slightly miffed looking alchemist was a man with grey hair and half-moon spectacles. He had a kind face and smiled as they approached.

"Thank you, Poppy."

"You're welcome, Minister Diggory," said Poppy with a smile then she turned to Genevieve. "I've got to go visit the new kneazles I'll leave you here."

"Thank you, Poppy," said Genevieve still a little perplexed as the brunette ran off.

"You wished to speak with me?" she asked the portrait.

"Yes, allow me to introduce myself. Eldritch Diggory former Minister of Magic and founder of the Auror Recruitment Program at your service."

"Oh great, a politician," muttered Evelyn under her breath and Genevieve resisted the urge to snicker.

"Given recent developments from what I've heard about the ministry's lack of action I admit I can't exactly scorn your lack of faith Miss Ollivander," Diggory said wryly. "I'd actually like your help correcting a certain wrong done by my government. Solving a decades-old murder to be precise."

"Why Genevieve?" asked Ominis.

"Well we portraits overhear a great deal more than you might expect and most of us can keep a secret. I overheard that you and Miss Ollivander were inquiring about Richard Jackdaw and a girl named Anne with regards to some missing pages."

"And you can help? You know who this Anne is?" said Genevieve hope flaring. Ominis looked a bit confused and Genevieve realized she'd need to explain things at least a little.

"Yes, Anne Thisbe. My niece Helen Thistlewood, a retired auror, though a skilled one in her day, can give you more details. If you help you may not only be able to clear an innocent woman's name but you might also find these pages you seem to be seeking."

"My father says never trust a politician but that sounds like a double win," said Evelyn.

"If it helps give you some assurance on my background, I was minister from 1733 to 1747 and trying to reform Azkaban when I died of dragon pox." Said Diggory looking slightly amused.