Chapter 32

Genevieve rode on the high of her birthday celebration for the next week.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you enough," she told Evelyn one day as they entered the library giving Madame Scribner a polite nod.

The truly ironic thing was that Scribner seemed to like her, the woman was often grouching people had little appreciation for books anymore and Genevieve appeared to have earned some good will with her extended hours and many checked out, and timely returned, tomes. Though she doubted the woman would be nearly as pleasant if she knew it was Genevieve who'd been out and about with Sebastian the first week.

"It was our pleasure Gen really. I think we all had a great time actually," insisted Evelyn as they made their way up to the second level where they were supposed to meet Adelaide Oakes for a study group.

They found the Hufflepuff in a back corner looking exceptionally frazzled.

"Everything alright Addie?" asked Evelyn. Adelaide shook her head.

"No, no it's not. I wrote my Uncle again like you suggested back at the beginning of the year."

"You mentioned something about it sounding rushed," said Genevieve.

"Yes, it did in fact the letter had also mentioned some dealings with Ranrok's loyalists." Genevieve wracked her brains to recall the conversation from the start of the year. Fortunately, Evelyn provided the necessary exposition.

"Well, he is a metal trader, so known in the goblin community. I suppose that makes sense." Adelaide nodded.

"That's what I thought. Or at least told myself to feel less worried. But I haven't received any reply from him in months. Normally he writes me every week."

"That's certainly worrying," said Genevieve.

"Did you file a missing person's report with the ministry?" asked Evelyn though Genevieve heard little hope in her voice.

"They said since he's a travelling trader there wasn't enough proof, he was missing," scoffed Adelaide.

"Months of no contact to his family member isn't proof?" said Genevieve in unsurprised outrage.

"What did we expect empathy and competence?" asked Evelyn.

"I really do think he's in trouble." Said Adelaide. Genevieve exchanged a look with Evelyn. They were both well acquainted with the Ranrok situation after all.

"I wish I could comfort you and say he's fine but at this point all signs point the opposite," sighed Genevieve. Offering the slightly teary girl.

"He's the only family I have. I don't know what I'd do without him," said Adelaide and Genevieve felt her heart go out to the girl. She hadn't realized she was an orphan as well. "I'd go looking for him myself but Professor Weasley heard and forbade me from leaving the grounds. I know she means well but I simply can't focus on anything else."

"How were you going to find him?" asked Genevieve.

"His last letter had a map of where he was going to set up camp next," replied Adelaide with a shrug pulling out a sheaf of parchment. "I don't suppose it's much use now." Genevieve took the parchment and looked at the hand drawn map. Meanwhile Adelaide sighed.

"I...I think I'm just going to go back to my common room. Thank you both for listening."

"Of course," said Genevieve looking up and watching the Hufflepuff walk away. She turned back to Evelyn who had a glint in her eye.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" said Evelyn.

"That we should go try and find Adelaide's uncle?"