Chapter 8

Genevieve woke up on September the first and all but bounded out of bed. Today she was going to Hogwarts! She swiftly dressed in a burgundy skirt white blouse and black tie she put her hair in her now usual style of the braided headed band leaving the rest down, tucked her wand into her skirt pocket and headed downstairs to breakfast.

Professor Fig was already waiting for her reading the daily prophet and a breakfast of French toast and bacon was on the table.

"Good morning!" she said brightly. Professor Fig smiled at her.

"Good morning my dear girl, excited for today?" Genevieve nodded as she sat down and began to eat.

"Yes, if a bit nervous. I only hope I'll be able to catch up. I've learned so much these past months but that's still almost nothing compared to the four years my peers will have had."

"You will do fine, you're an intelligent young woman who picks up quickly. I've seen your progress and I wouldn't say you were ready if I didn't think you were. I truly believe you will be a force to be reckoned with. Not to mention myself and the other teachers will be there to assist you. You aren't alone."

Fig's speech warmed Genevieve's heart and some of her worry disappeared.

"Thank you, Professor. Although if I am ready, it's mostly due to your guidance. I'm truly grateful for all that you have done for me." Genevieve told him earnestly.

More than grateful really these past months had been the happiest of her life. She'd felt free and most oddly of all cared for. Even if it was merely the care of a mentor for his student.

"That's very kind of you to say my dear thank you," said Professor Fig softly.

HL

Now that the time had come Fig really was almost sorry it was the start of the school year. He'd come to enjoy tutoring Genevieve far more than he ever anticipated. Not to mention the way that the crushing pressure of losing Miriam seemed to have lifted somewhat.

Still as he'd told the girl herself, it wasn't like he wouldn't be seeing or teaching Genevieve. And it would have been selfish to hold her back even if he could she had so much yet to experience and enjoy.

He was proud of her. Not to mention pleased that beyond her academic progress she was also now a far cry from the rail thin, unnaturally pale, and terrified girl he'd picked up from the orphanage.

She'd filled out to a much more healthy weight for one her age, her skin while still fair was now slightly sun kissed with roses in her cheeks, and perhaps most importantly she had a confidence about her that had been severely lacking a couple months ago. Not that she'd wholly changed but at the very least she wasn't terrified the slightest mistake could mean punishment and she was willing to voice her opinions.

With any luck exposure to her peers would serve to continue to improve that. And of course, he'd be there for her each step of the way if she needed him.

HL

They spent the day packing and preparing to leave only pausing for afternoon tea. Late in the afternoon they collected their trunks, Genevieve adding on a long light brown coat for warmth and they apparated to a small empty square in London. Genevieve immediately noticed a carriage that appeared to be waiting. The strange thing was that the driver seemed to be holding reins that connected to thin air.

Professor Fig began to levitate their luggage atop the carriage as the driver secured it.

"Professor can we use magic so freely? What if someone comes along?" Asked Genevieve.

"A very astute observation. Ordinarily no however since muggle repelling charms have been cast around the area we will be fine." Genevieve nodded as Professor Fig finished with the luggage.