Chapter 36

Dinah was going over some papers in her office when Matilda knocked on the door of her office.

"May I have a minute Di?"

"Of course, Mattie," replied the defense teacher with a smile. Matilda stepped inside and shut the door. She had a serious look on her face.

"Dinah, do you know what's going on with Genevieve Smith and Eleazar?" Ah so it was this.

"That depends on what you are referring to with regards to them. If you mean the fact that in Eleazar's eyes she practically is daughter in all but name and that Miss Smith clearly sees him as more than just a mentor than I think the whole school is aware by now."

"I mean the rumors of the girl fighting Ashwinders and goblins."

"I can't speak for Ashwinders but there are goblin loyalists all around the valley now Mattie it's hard to avoid them. And if she's attacked of course, she would fight back. We can't control what our students do outside of school."

"And what about things she's doing WITH Eleazar?"

"Even if I did know do you think it would make a difference?" asked Dinah quietly.

"With the way you keep quiet probably not," said Matilda with a sigh. "So, you do know?" Dinah gave a hum of confirmation. Mattie sat down.

"Wonderful and I'm still in the dark."

"I only know because he had no choice."

"And I presume Genevieve has no choice either. And I don't mean that Eleazar is forcing her."

"Certainly not. Eleazar would lock the girl in a room of pillows if he could," scoffed Dinah.

"I can't do nothing Dinah," said Matilda.

"Keep an eye on the rest of the student body. Eleazar and I have Genevieve. And when the time comes be ready to act. And for Merlin's sake DON'T go to Black." Dinah had the feeling that things were speeding up and one day soon they would be telling Matilda the truth. Mattie sighed gazing over her wire rimmed spectacles.

"Very well."

HL

Matilda's talk with Dinah hadn't been quite as productive as she'd hoped but at least now she didn't feel completely useless. Of course, she was still going to keep an eye on Genevieve and Eleazar to see if she could work out what was going on but if not, she'd be ready as Dinah requested. As for not going to Black. Considering the man's greatest concern tended to be whether the sculptor of his latest bust had gotten his nose right there was little danger of involving him.

HL

Genevieve bounced excitedly on the balls of her feet as she stood by Professor Fig in the dueling section of the Room of Requirement. They were finally getting around to her learning to cast a Patronus.

"Right then," said Professor Fig going into teaching mode. "Now the patronus has three uses. To repel dementors, lethifolds, and in a more advanced form to send messages."

"And how is it conjured?" asked Genevieve.

"By focusing on an incredibly happy memory. Dementor's are creatures of darkness that feed on happiness."

"So, the patronus acts as a buffer?"

"Correct. A corporeal patronus is necessary to send a message and will take a form specific to the caster."

"But a non-corporeal one can still hold off a dementor?" asked Genevieve.

"Indeed. But since we're hoping to use this eventually to send messages we're aiming for corporeal. Though considering many fully qualified wizards can't produce one you shouldn't feel too concerned if you don't manage on our first lesson." Genevieve nodded in understanding watching her professor as he prepared to demonstrate.