Chapter 19

Genevieve was relieved to have Fig back. Even just knowing that he was in the castle made her feel a little more comfortable. They had spent the rest of her evening with him chatting away about her classes until Professor Fig glanced at the clock and shooed her off as it was almost curfew.

The Magical Theory class was also quite pleased to have their professor back engaging in a rousing discussion about the importance of intent vs power. Sebastian muttered,

"May Black never send him away for so long again."

"If he does, I may ACTUALLY go to my family to complain," said Ominis. "I could probably make a case for lack of education." Genevieve had laughed.

"I'm sure Professor Fig would appreciate everyone's loyalty."
HL

Matilda stopped by Eleazar's at few days after he had returned.

"So, I take it you know about the attack," she began.

"Of course. Dinah wrote me immediately. It's horrifying that they were attacked so close to the school."

"Yes, it is, which makes one wonder why their attackers would take such a risk. Two Hogwarts students aren't particularly valuable. Normally." Eleazar knew where Matilda was going with this.

"I'm afraid I can't fathom the minds of Rookwood's lackeys and Ranrok's extremists." He replied.

"Eleazar that's twice Genevieve Smith was attacked. Thrice if you count the dragon. On top of that she's incredibly reluctant to reveal anything about the attack with the dragon. Please do not insult my intelligence by maintaining this facade that there is nothing going on with you two."

"Yes, speaking of that I'd appreciate it if you ceased your attempts to interrogate Genevieve," said Eleazar ignoring most of her comment. "She's had a lifetime of adults doing such and I'd rather she not have Hogwarts associated with that. I've told you as much as I can Mattie but if you insist on pushing save it for me." Professor Weasley sighed.

"Very well. The last thing I would want to do is unintentionally upset her. But I'm afraid this isn't something I can just let go given a student appears to be involved. Is it about Miriam?" Eleazar's eyes flashed a rush of anger filling him. He didn't want Genevieve to be in danger. His voice was cold as ice.

"I do hope you are not suggesting that I would EVER intentionally put a student in harm's way for my own devices. Least of all Genevieve." Professor Weasley gazed at him and then replied softly.

"No. You wouldn't. But can you blame me for being worried and suspicious given the circumstances?" Eleazar felt the anger disappear as soon as it had come. He closed his eyes. He hated fighting with those dear to him Matilda included.

"No I can't. But nor can I give you the answers you seek." He opened his eyes. "I'm sorry." Matilda shook her head.

"So am I." Then the red-head turned away and left the office leaving a slightly dejected Eleazar.

HL

Genevieve had just finished a brief chat with Professor Fig after Magical Theory class, for once having absolutely nothing to do with ancient magic or Ranrok, when Sebastian caught up with her.

"Veevee," she blinked still getting used to the nickname.

"Yes Sebastian?"

"You know you can call me Seb right? My friends do." He said.

"Alright Seb," she said with a slight smile, "What is it?"

"I wondered if you wanted to come to Feldcroft this weekend to meet Anne?" Genevieve's smile widened.