Chapter 14

Genevieve got a very welcome surprise the next morning. An owl arrived for her at breakfast. Which was entirely unexpected. She'd have wondered if the owl had the wrong recipient were it not for the fact that she recognized the owl as Archimedes.

She swiftly detached the letter smiling as the bird took off.

Dear Genevieve

Please come to my office after your class this afternoon. I'd like to discuss the progress that has been made.

Sincerely,

Professor Fig

Genevieve laughed softly he'd really been clever about it. Anybody that read the letter, though unlikely given the short distance sent would presume he meant her academic progress.

Clearly the back and forth of an owl in the Great Hall would be a tad suspicious. So, she simply caught her mentor's eye up at the staff table and smiled brightly giving a slight nod of her head. Professor Fig returned her smile with one of his own.

She couldn't wait for classes to be over today, though on the bright side she had DADA again and would be trying Care of Magical Creatures and Flying for the first time.

Truthfully, she was more excited for the former than the latter. She'd never liked heights and the idea of being up in the air with nothing but a stick of wood between her and the ground was not pleasant.

HL

Defense Against the Dark Arts passed enjoyably enough they'd worked on improving shield charms learning what category of spells broke through specific types of shields.

Genevieve was riveted and had an enjoyable time at the end of class watching Sebastian defeat Prewett in a sanctioned duel. Sebastian might be a bit cocky but at least he generally had the power to back it up.

Next was her Care of Magical Creature's lesson. Natty was also in that class so they began to head down together as she was the only person Genevieve knew in the class.

"So, I've seen you walking with Ominis Gaunt." Said Natty looking concerned.

"What of it?" asked Genevieve raising an eyebrow.

"I hear his family practices dark magic. You don't want to be caught up in that. Some people even say he cursed Anne Sallow." Genevieve stopped. She hadn't heard Anne had been cursed simply unwell. But then it wasn't her business.

"Yes, his family. Not him. Does anyone really think Sebastian would still be his friend if Ominis were responsible for Anne's condition? People need to start getting to know people before they judge them." She began walking again and Natty had to speed up to catch up.

"I suppose you are right. I shouldn't be so judgmental based purely on rumors. You say he's different?"

"Well, I don't know exactly what his family is like but they sound horrible and Ominis is anything but he's been quite kind to me."

"He always seemed a bit standoffish," said Natty thoughtfully.

"Well I would imagine so if everyone is assuming the worst of him." Genevieve wasn't sure in the moment why she was defending Ominis so passionately but she supposed it wouldn't do to let others speak ill of him when it was undeserved. They exited the castle and began to head down the lawn.

"If you are happy and safe then that is all that matters. I shall trust your judgement," said Natty.

"I appreciate the concern," said Genevieve softly. She did find it oddly touching that Natty was actually concerned about her.