Chapter 29

Genevieve knew she needed to fill in Professor Fig at Sunday tea the following day. However, she wasn't entirely looking forward to it. For one reason or another Professor Fig truly cared about what happened to her and she figured he wouldn't be pleased hearing about her lone escapades.

Nonetheless she knocked on the door of his quarters on Sunday at the appointed time. Since the night after the Rackham trial, they'd moved their tea times to his quarters, less chance of Professor Black barging in on them.

The headmaster had been in a foul mood, well fouler than usual, since coming back from Christmas. The rumor was he'd had to spend the entirety of break dealing with the issue of Anne Thisbe. Genevieve was admittedly more than a little pleased. Serve the man right for sending her mentor away for nearly a month and treating him like a servant!

Perhaps it wasn't charitable but well...there was a reason the hat didn't put her in Hufflepuff.

The door opened revealing the cheerful smile of Professor Fig.

"Hello my dear."

"Hello Professor," she said, stepping in without invitation. They made their way over to the sitting area in front of the fireplace where the tea tray was already set.

"So how has the rest of your week been?" he asked as he made the tea. They hadn't spoken outside class since the evening much earlier in the week with the Keepers. Genevieve accepted the tea then took a sip. He knew her preference on tea perfectly by now.

"Quite well," she said with a smile. "Professor Howin has moved us on to nifflers which are the cutest little troublemakers I've ever seen, I managed to complete the flying course without nearly having a heart attack, met with Lodgok and fought some inferi, and barely missed being charred by Garreth Weasley's latest explosion. Just an average week."

Realistically she knew slipping her encounter with Lodgok in mid conversation wasn't ACTUALLY going to get him to overlook the inferi thing but a childish part of her had hoped it might. She didn't meet Professor Fig's eyes as she heard the clink of China as his teacup was set down on its saucer.

"Back up and repeat that please," he said not unkindly.

"Garreth exploded his cauldron?" she said, biting her lip and Fig raised an eyebrow, his voice stern.

"Genevieve. You know what I mean." Genevieve gave a huff, her shoulders sagging.

"I went to meet with Lodgok like I told you I would. And he was actually fairly agreeable regarding helping with Ranrok. He said the best way to reingratiate himself with Ranrok, since they were once close prior to a falling out, would be to return this helm that a witch stole and buried in a tomb accessible only to wizards. The tomb was guarded by inferi."

"So, you went in and fought the inferi ON YOUR OWN and retrieved the helm?" said Fig. Genevieve still didn't meet his gaze and Fig sighed. "It gets worse doesn't it?" Genevieve considered lying but somehow, setting aside she didn't think Fig would buy it, she simply couldn't bring herself to do so.

"The helm wasn't there. It had been taken by Ashwinders." Professor Fig covered his face with his hand.

"Please tell me you didn't go into the camp?"

"Alright I didn't go into the camp," said Genevieve in a tone that clearly said otherwise and judging from the exasperated look on Fig's face he knew it. Genevieve crossed her arms and slumped back in her chair.

"What happened when you entered the camp?" asked her mentor.

"They were being attacked by a troll, so I snuck in and nicked it while they were preoccupied."